New amp time

Updated
ash
I think its time to uprgrade from my spider 30 but am having trouble deciding what to get so I need a little help. I'm leaning towards marshall mg412a cab and mg100hdfx head purely because it seems the best option at that price range ($1,180 AUD) but have heard mixed opinions on them. I play mainly metal rythym and starting to solo a bit so I want something that's versatile for low end and top end. What's everyone think about these and any other suggestions around that price range? I could probably stretch to about $1600-1700 if I really had to but reluctantly.:) Any advice would be sick. Cheers.
phil

Ok, whatever you do - get a proper marshall cab. Those MG cabs/speakers are fucking RUBBISH. The MG heads are fine, it would sound a hell of a lot better through a normal 1960a cab than the MG cabs. So yeah, for your price range I'd maybe investigate getting a 1960A second hand.

ash

Thanx for your reply dude I can get a 1960A for $1089 (new) so I'll look into it. I've heard mixed stuff about the MG and I only played it in the shop quickly with a shitty legacy guitar so couldn't really rate it.

Any one else have any advice?
ultimately I'd like mesa boogie gear but they're just way too expensive for me.

TREVA

Any one else have any advice?
ultimately I'd like mesa boogie gear but they're just way too expensive for me.

mesa boogie dc-3 or 5 on evilbay = 500 usd.
Awsome cleans,distortion from blues to metal.
Loud as hell and built as a tank.
My dc-3 have 12 years I love it.:hat

SGCustom

I can vouch for that completely. The head isn't THAT bad through a real cabinet.

El Jefe

spider valve half stack?

Blake

I could probably stretch to about $1600-1700 if I really had to but reluctantly.

There's a 5150 halfstack on ebay for $1800. START FUCKING STRETCHING.

ash

^^Second hand though. I'd rather get new gear i think

El Jefe

dude im telllin ya try a spider valve

ash

dude im telllin ya try a spider valve

Just havin a look at them now. 4x12 cab is $1449 and valve head is $1699. I'll go in and try one out when I get a chance.

JoeBender

Why exactly do you need a halfstack?

ash

Why exactly do you need a halfstack?

Ok I'm starting to jam with a few mates and they've all got good gear and I just want to be able to keep up:) My little spider is great for playing by myself but just gets lost in the mix when I jam. Turn it up above halfway and it just loses its great sound.

Oh and they look cool.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ChainOfThought

Nothing wrong with used gear, whatsoever. Why do you want new?

I spent 2400$ (american) on my savage120/1960vintage half stack WITH the z-10 midi switch (200$ new by itself). If you total it all up new, thats about 3800$ +/-150$ or so. The head is less than 6 months old, the cab is about a year old. Just look at the shit before you buy it, make sure its not all fucked up.

The mg is an ok amp, I wouldn't put money on one. I had an mg100 combo amp as my first amp (not counting the little fender pos that came in the starter kit my parents bought me as my first axe). Looking back I wish I just hadn't wasted the money on the thing.

If you're going to get one, take these guys advice and get a real cab with it. That mg cab will make a diezel sound like complete ass.

Just don't completely cut used gear out of the equation, especially on a budget. And especially on amps.

Dark Alone

I will also vouch for the Mesa DC series. Fucking AWESOME amps. My guitarist/drummer has a Mesa DC-5 and it is absolutely sick. Very versatile, and excellent tone.

TREVA

Yes dark that's what I said.

Dark Alone

Yeah, I was +1ing your suggestion.

TREVA

Dude your avatar is looking really cool for xmas ,cool idea :)

ash

You guys are fucking great, I dunno what i'd do without this sites wealth of knowlege..
Only downside is hard to make a choice.

Ok this is what Im thinking about but it may change after I check out ebay and randall:
Marshall 1960A and Mg100hdfx head cos its cheap. Any thoughts on this combo?
I do like line 6 but want to try something different and I'll hang on to the spider 3 anyways.
Cheers.

ash

The G3 RH300 looks good for $1100 plus its 300 watt, triple the mg100! Only a couple of hundred dearer too.

Ok noob question time, I'm pretty sure I'll get the 1960A so based on that I know its 300Watt so do I need to have the same watt head? And Would the marshall box and randall head be awesome together even though they're differnt brands. Sorry if these are dumb questions but I need to learn this shit from somewhere.

arsiscode

I have a RH150 G3 and IMO it wasn't worth it. The sound wasn't for me at all. Serious buyer's remorse. I'm selling it soon, and the matching cab, hoping to find a good used mark IV or Fireball.

Gravy Tank

And Would the marshall box and randall head be awesome together even though they're differnt brands

It should sound great together. I've heard nothing but good things about the G3. Ask Rex Rocker about them, he'll vouch for them %100. I almost got one of those myself, but decided to go with a 5150 instead.

Ravens Creed

I would always by better second hand gear than poor quality or average new stuff.

What about....

This

"Ok noob question time, I'm pretty sure I'll get the 1960A so based on that I know its 300Watt so do I need to have the same watt head? And Would the marshall box and randall head be awesome together even though they're differnt brands. Sorry if these are dumb questions but I need to learn this shit from somewhere."

No. A 100 watt head is fine for 300w rated cabs. You certainly dont need a 300w head if you could find one.

Marshall 1960 cabs will suit any head although they are ideally suited for a punchy metal/hard rock sound. If you want something smooth you need to look at vintage cabs/speakers.

TREVA

I would always by better second hand gear than poor quality or average new stuff.

+ 1000 :hat
We told to noobs but they ever listen.
Spider(line 6) is crap !8o

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread