Thinking of Sanding Neck

Updated
Choppychunks
After screwing around with Fast-fret and other neck stuff I'm ready to just go ahead and sand the finish off the back of the neck. Anyone have any particular advice or tips or is it just as straight forward as it sounds......?
1point8t

It's easy and will come out great if you take your time. I've done it to 4 or 5 guitars and have been happy with the end result. Get a bunch of fresh razor blades, the type that you'd put in a box cutter. Mask off the area that you don't want to scrape with several layers of masking tape. Scrape the finish off the neck, going in the same direction, holding the blade at a 45 degree angle. <<<<<

jsp

It's easy and will come out great if you take your time. I've done it to 4 or 5 guitars and have been happy with the end result. Get a bunch of fresh razor blades, the type that you'd put in a box cutter. Mask off the area that you don't want to scrape with several layers of masking tape. Scrape the finish off the neck, going in the same direction, holding the blade at a 45 degree angle. <<<<<

load more replies (1 of 1)
Sidivan

I've kicked around this same thing. For years I thought the "Don't paint the neck" maniacs were idiots... until I just recently aquired a low end Godin SD. Wow. The back of this neck feels 10x better than my ESP Custom with the paint. The downside is the natural finish gets to feeling icky after awhile. I dunno... still going back and forth on it.

1point8t

Gfunky, you might have been the one who told me about the razorblade thing, I had been using just sandpaper before which was super time consuming.

Choppychunks

Thanks for the replies. After seeing those pics I'm ready to give it a shot--very nice and I bet it plays like butter...:hat

MV-CTM

Just clean off the grime with a washcloth or something.

TaoZen

I'm glad my hands don't sweat much. I have never had a problem with painted necks.

esp_gaijin

wash your hands after using the restroom.

nah, i like sanded neck feel too, but mosly i just like gfu's and zw's 'cause it shows a maple neck on an lpc, which i think gib should offer this all the time.

but i could never bring myself to sand the neck of a costly guitar. jmo tho.

i get good enough results from cleaning the neck and polishing it with guitar polish.

i like the feel of fender relic necks tho, and fender actual vintage necks except it's kinda gross all that years of human dirt ingrained in the woodgrain. yuk.

chevy Z 302

i like the feel of fender relic necks tho

me too, by far my favorite feel.

Those tyler's feel like that in a way, its awesome.

load more replies (2 of 2)
MikeC

I sanded the neck on my Dean down and it feels alot better than before.
It's really fast! I kind of regret doing it do to the resale value. The resale value probably isn't much at all anymore.

SDMFPantera

You'd better not do it to the Horizon, boy!

Hellz noez!!! i wouldnt even consider! Cant take the scales off of the monster!

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread