Mesa Triple Rec Problem...Help!

Updated
CarpeDiem
Ok, I'm going to make this as short as possible. Was on my way to practice and called a member to ask him to hook up my amp/cab and turn it on so it could warm up. I got there, plugged in and jammed for about 4 - 6 hours on it and it started sounding shitty, no tone, real muddy, ect. I check into it and find the head was running 8 ohms into the cab at 4 ohms. I replaced the 6L6s and 5U4GBs and everything sounded great again until about 20 minutes into jamming and the samething happened. I turned it off, cameback a couple hours later and samething, 20 minutes and it goes to hell. I'm thinking of replacing the 12AX7s cause they probably need it anyways but can anyone else think of something that could be causing this? My local music store said it sounds like a tube problem, but I already put 2 new sets (of 6L6s/5U4GBs) in it. Thanks.
R11GJH

I would change the 12AX7's anyway and see if it makes a difference.

Pushead

There are all sorts of bad things that can happen by running an amp without enough resistance. Transformers and capacitors blowing up are the most common things I've heard of. Replace the preamp tubes first, but it sounds like it might be something much worse.

jsp

find the head was running 8 ohms into the cab at 4 ohms

I'd guess that it's a transformer issue.

Brono

lesson: dont let noobs set your amp up. Or really anyone.

Stephy

the problem is that it has tubes in it.

Dark Alone

Phail.

load more replies (1 of 1)
DarkKnight369

I see why Mike likes you now. ;)

load more replies (1 of 1)
chevy Z 302

respect.

BlowitUp

tubes = all that is good in the world

Stephy

Oh yea; THE ONLY GUITAR AMP WORTH YOUR MONEY IS A TUBE AMP, DIGITAL SUCKS!!!

you sir, have no idea what you're talking about.

xchumfiestax

It doesn't necessarily remind me of a specific level but it makes me think 'Mega Man X4' for some reason.

ESP

All amps suck! There I said it. Let's move on...

Post to Thread