EMG HZ Appreciation thread...seriously!

Updated
TaoZen
I don't really understand the general dislike of these pickups. They actually sound pretty decent. The first guitar I ever heard them in/played thru was my Viper 301. I have had quite a few guitars over the years with different pickups, and the HZ's are very versatile. I can play metal as well as R+B and blues with them. I just bought a Viper 300 that someone installed a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and it dosen't sound as good to my ear as the HZ. I'm glad that the guy I bought it from kept the HZ and included it with the sale. I will swap them back asap. Maybe they don't have as much push as the actives, but they have character and tone, and if you wanted more gain, you can drive the front end with an OD box.
MyApocalypse

HZ-H4 in Alexi-600 = NICE. :D

Bill C.

I really like the HZ's in my Jackson hardtail Dinky, very versatile and balanced with good harmonic response, mine must be the good ones

Robert C.

These pickups proved to me that different guitars will sound very different even with the same pickups.  At first I was really disappointed in the HZ's (H4A / H4) that I had in my Explorer replica.  They sounded very "lifeless", no dynamics and very uninspiring no matter how I adjusted them or the amp settings.  I then swapped them into a Les Paul replica and they suddenly came to life!  To me, they sound really punchy and EMG 81 / 60ish and capable of anything you need them to sound like (within reason).  

On a side note, I put a pair of the Epiphone Probuckers into the Explorer and they sounded REALLY good and crisp in that guitar (which sounded like shit with the H4's).  Go figure...

Jay R.

Has anyone had any success with coil tapping and EMG-HZ pickup and setting a 5 way selector?

Post to Thread