I just found the wonders of flat-wounds strings.

Updated
ZephMan
These things are amazing. Just put 'em on my Tele last night. They are so smooth. And they look fucking awsome. Anyone else use these?
Duffy

Many years ago a professional turned me on to flat wounds and they sounded great with real smooth moving around with no string sound between chords, etc. Plus you can slide them with your fingers really smoothly

Most evident was the really nice rounded off tone rather than the bright bite you get out of round wound. Know what I mean. They sound like on a guitar something like pinstripes sound like on drums; they produce a deeper, full, and mellow sound. Wouldn't you agree?

I should put some of them on one of my guitars. What gauge and brand did you get? What guitar did you put them on?

I wonder if any of the current professionals use flat wounds? Studios probably really like them because they minimize that incidental noise you get between chords and stuff sometimes.

Duffy

ZephMan

Many years ago a professional turned me on to flat wounds and they sounded great with real smooth moving around with no string sound between chords, etc. Plus you can slide them with your fingers really smoothly

Most evident was the really nice rounded off tone rather than the bright bite you get out of round wound. Know what I mean. They sound like on a guitar something like pinstripes sound like on drums; they produce a deeper, full, and mellow sound. Wouldn't you agree?

I should put some of them on one of my guitars. What gauge and brand did you get? What guitar did you put them on?

I wonder if any of the current professionals use flat wounds? Studios probably really like them because they minimize that incidental noise you get between chords and stuff sometimes.

Duffy

Totally dude. I was looking for a mellower tone, they sound AMAZING! And I didn't even know they were gunna be so smooth to play. I also think I can pick faster with them too. Your pick just kinda "slides off 'em".

I picked up the D'addario "Chromes", I got the lightest gauge, since it was really heavy! it's .011-.050.

I put them on my Nashville Telecaster.

KH Guitar Freak

I wouldn't use flatwounds unless I wanted a jazzier type of tone...

KFW

I have flatwounds on my bass. I like it for that, but I'm not sure if I prefer it over regular wound strings. Sure it's smooth and everything, but I like the brighter and rougher feel of regular strings, especially for guitar. But I do like it for finger picking on the bass.

ZephMan

I used them in my jazz band

pfffff, what jazz band.

ZephMan

You know, the one I got paid the big bucks for.

Oh Ya! I remember now.

ibanezaholic

i got some fender flats on my bass i dig em. dont no about them on guitars though

TheGuardian

What's the different between flat wounds and standard strings? :o

Sixstringhotshot

I'm not a fan. They're too dull for me, even for jazz.

nwright

I'm not a fan. They're too dull for me, even for jazz.

+1

Post to Thread