BBE Sonic Maximizer

Updated
Joe_Bradburry
I want to get one of these for my future rig, but i'm wondering if i should get the sonic stomp pedal, or save up for one of the rack units.
esp_gaijin

ergh.... regardless of what paid celeb is hawking those things in mags,
reviews of everyday players are VERY mixed.

i owned the rack one briefly, used it successfully on a PA system,
sold it with the PA - it made a cheap PA sound noticably better.

then owned the pedal version and tried on guitar,
owned it a couple months maybe then sold it,
i just kept finding i liked the amp better without the thing.

reviews are MIXED, i'm not saying everyone dislikes it.

MikeC

I have the 482 in my rig. I baught it used for fairly cheep and it was well worth it. It sounds alot like taking a blanket off of your speakers. I vote for the rack unit.

Joe_Bradburry

^every body says that its like taking a blanket off your speakers! is it really that significant of a difference?

Dark Alone

It sounds alot like taking a blanket off of your speakers.

That's literally in the item description everywhere they sell the stupid things. I think it's BS. My old guitar player had one with his Dual Recto, and I couldn't hear a difference at all, good or bad.

espdood

That's literally in the item description everywhere they sell the stupid things. I think it's BS. My old guitar player had one with his Dual Recto, and I couldn't hear a difference at all, good or bad.

It depends on what amp you run the BBE through. I've been hearing that it gives little to bad results on any MESA Dual Rectifier..and on the Peavey 5150 or 6505 series..it made a huge difference. Peavey 6505 5150 owners that use the BBE say that its a must have if you're gonna go with the Peavey.

tee5150ii

Got one (sonic stomp) for my rig...5150ii through avatar 2x12 w/ v30's and it made a huge difference. Wouldn't play a show without it. I run it in the effects loop since it didn't do squat in the signal chain. So with the SS and GE-7 in the loop...I couldn't be happier with my tone.

Justice4all

I use it on my Knucklehead, and shit does it make a "HUGE" difference, on the gain channels, not a fan on the clean channel.

But YOU NEED TO USE IT IN THE EFFECTS LOOP, it does help if your amp has send and return volumes as well.

If you are after that full on metal rhythm sound this puppy will do it.

Had a guy from a band ask me, "oh is that your distortion rack" nope its just my BBE 482, but whenever i engaged the EFX loop everyone was like what the fu@k is that.

Only ever tryed it om my own amp, and only like it for full on metal sounds, really pushes the envelope. Usually have both knobs set at about 11 oclock, go to far and it will start to sound really digital.

load more replies (1 of 1)
MikeC

Maybe it depends on what amp you run it through. Try running it through the effects loop like these other guys suggested, I'm just saying I like it. I can hear a difference and I think it's a good product. IMO it's worth the cash.

Joe_Bradburry

thanks, guys. your advice is great and much appreciated. has anyone tried the stomp version and the rack unit side by side and noticed any significant differences?

Joe_Bradburry

i guess it would help to say what amp i'm getting!:p i'm getting the Genz-Benz El Diablo 60w head with an Avatar 4x12 w/ celestion V30's

Justice4all

i guess it would help to say what amp i'm getting!:p i'm getting the Genz-Benz El Diablo 60w head with an Avatar 4x12 w/ celestion V30's

I really think its one of those things you need to try out then decide if you like it, or improves on your amps sound.

If you end up with one, start off with both knobs on zero, bring up the bass till you like it, stop before it gets to undefined. Then same with the treble... you will find a sweet spot to complement the bass/lower fq's and you wont really move those settings.

Good luck.

espdood

The El Diablo is a great head. I heard many good things about it. I'm not sure that it even needs a BBE system. You could go get one at Guitar Center and try it out at home..if you don't like it..you could always return it.

rockinhockey

so youre saying that the bbe works better with an eq then right?

Yo Daddy

Nope. I'm saying it acts like an eq to my ears. I setup my rig like this. I get the sound I like out of the amp first, then tweak with the eq, then tweak some more with the SM.

Even if you don't have an EQ, you'd still be able to tell the difference with or without the SM in my rack.

DeathIsMyJustice

I had a rack BBE for a while, when I first got it a loved it... then as a had it for longer I began to hate it more and more

Get a EQ :hat

load more replies (1 of 1)
T-nuts

Again
With my 6505.

It makes it sound phenomenally better.

DeathIsMyJustice

Again
With my 6505.

It makes it sound phenomenally better.

I had a 5150 when I had mine so my comment still stands

rockinhockey

do you guys run your eqs through the effects loops?

Joe_Bradburry

so i should get an eq and the SM for optimal tone?

capoeiraesp

Yeah bud mxr 10 band eq's a totally tits esspecially with 5150's.
Rockinhockey, definately put it in your effects loop.

DeathIsMyJustice

so i should get an eq and the SM for optimal tone?

Id say get an EQ instead of a BBE, I ran a BBE and an eq (dual 15 band) as soon as I started to get into using my EQ the BBE was cut out :)

Iv got a boss GE7 now which dose the job just great for me, 7 bands is enough for me and I dont need a rack anymore :hat

Joe_Bradburry

so you're sayin that the mxr is better than the boss? i heard real mixed reviews on the mxr, but 90% of the boss reviews were 100% positive.

capoeiraesp

Honestly can't say which is better. I went for the MXR outright cause it has 10 bands vs 7 and (dunno how much difference or what frequencies the boss misses out on) because I like the look/build of MXR, not that BOSS is shit at all. Tis all preference bud so test em. If you're tossin up between gettin the BBE or an eq get the eq first purely because of how much you can change your sound and tweak the shit out of it.

Post to Thread