head+cabinets crash course

Updated
andrei
hello, i'm a head+cabinets noob... they're not comon around here, everyone just sticks to combos, the bigger the better. from what i've read, a head and cabinets is the pro way to go. since i know little about this system, please fill me in. here's what i believe (correct me if i'm wrong): head = just the amp, no speaker whatsoever; cabinets = just the speakers, no amplification. (so, no use for one without the other) so, what do i need? i'm thinking about a decent head, for a couple of hundreds... is line6 the way to go, with the spider II/III 75 or the 150? (do i realy need 150 = 2x75) any better options in this pricerange? i want to keep my rig simple. at the time i just use a MT2 and the only other effect i feel the need for is a noisegate (ok, maybe also a compressor). i've heard that an amp with build in distortion can't be matched by a pedal... is that so? will the metal channel of the spider 75 do the trick? ok, there are a lot of questions, so i'm gonna stop now. please fill in your advice and explanations, help a noob out. since the speaker of my 30w combo buzzes like hell with the volume half way up and distortion on... i need to make a move... how important are the speakers/cabinets? (ok, gonna shut up now) thanks a lot, andrei.
Gravy Tank

Well it depends. Are you in a gigging band? If so, then a stack would be the way to go. I would kinda shy away from the lower end line 6 stuff tho. If you can swing it, try to pick up some kind of tube amp. I hear the Peavey Valveking is a pretty bitchin amp. Or, if you wanna stay with solid state, look at some Randall heads. The G3 head would be a good choice. Don't be afraid to look for used stuff as well. For cabs, I'd reccomend Avatar. They're built great, come with high-end Celestions and are super affordable. If you just play in your room by yourself tho, combos would be adequate.

MikeC

:pI agree with Gravy Tank.

If you have a band and your playing gigs then I'd strongly recomment a half stack. The Spiders are nice, but if you want your moneys worth I'd recommend a tube amp. Look for anything used, you may find something good for your money.

I've never heard anybody say that an amp with built in distortion can't match a pedal. It all depends on what type of amp you're speaking of.

You need the speakers if your interested in a half/full stack. Otherwise, were the the sound come from. All you'll need is a head and cab. You just take the speaker input in the back of the head and run it to the can and that's it. Depending on what kind of amp you look at, you may not need the MT-2. I hear great things about the pedal, but if you got the ValveKing like what was suggested above then I don't think the pedal will be needed in many cases.

Before you ask us to recommend you an amp I'd strongly suggest telling us what kind of music you'll be playing too.

emg32

Just find yourself a good 2x12 and a nice solid state amp. You will be in tone heaven compared to what you have.

It doesn't sound like you have alot to spend so buying used would be your best bet. Peavey and Randall have some really good solid state amps that can be had for cheap used.

You will never need a full stack, gigging or not. If you are playing a place big enough to need a full stack you will be miced up anyway so the size of your rig won't matter.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ibanezaholic

do not get a spider

KH Guitar Freak

I myself are one of those people that are sick with combos, bar a few combos that are nice such as the Lonestar etc...

Halfstack FTW!!! Hence that's what I'm trying to achieve next...

murtis

i have a half stack i use a pedal infront of it to sound nice at lower volumes

andrei

hello friends,

thanks for all the replies.

to continue with my noobish questions:
what's a full stack and what a half stack? (2x12 / 4x12 ?)
and what's a "solid state" amp?

i play in a band and want a nice, loud, clean sound at the rehersals and (later) on stage. (the 30w combo does a real nice job at home, at low volume)
i'm a big fan of tha Master of Puppets / Justice sound. that's what i grew up on and that's how i'd like to sound... fat and crunchy.
now, please don't go Mesa on me, cose aint gonna happen. ($)

the other guitarist just got a 100w, 2 speaker, 300eur, Fender combo and he bolws everybody away. he plays with the volume on 2. way to much power for our small rehersal room.
i just thought for 300eur i'll get a spider 75w head instead of a combo.
(spider, just for the low price and the metal channel.)

now, i'm open to suggestions... in this price range.
i'd like an amp with distortion... (maybe some noisegate)
in the previous post i stated:
"i've heard that an amp with build in distortion can't be matched by a pedal"

so, that's what i'm looking for.

isn't a tube amp more... sensitive?
i mean: tubes do burn out... then u have to search fore replacements, order... wait...
is it worth the extra trouble? (of course it is, but i mean, for my needs that are modest at the time)

thanks for your support!

T-nuts

hello friends,

thanks for all the replies.

to continue with my noobish questions:
what's a full stack and what a half stack? (2x12 / 4x12 ?)
and what's a "solid state" amp?

A full stack is (2) 4 x 12's.
A half stack is (1) 4 x 12.

A solid state amp is a fully computerized amp. Has nothing but chips and other fancy shit in it.
They are nice for certain home things because they are cheap, and work well at low volumes...but when it comes to a band situation you can't beat tube amps.

i play in a band and want a nice, loud, clean sound at the rehersals and (later) on stage. (the 30w combo does a real nice job at home, at low volume)
i'm a big fan of tha Master of Puppets / Justice sound. that's what i grew up on and that's how i'd like to sound... fat and crunchy.
now, please don't go Mesa on me, cose aint gonna happen. ($)

the other guitarist just got a 100w, 2 speaker, 300eur, Fender combo and he bolws everybody away. he plays with the volume on 2. way to much power for our small rehersal room.
i just thought for 300eur i'll get a spider 75w head instead of a combo.
(spider, just for the low price and the metal channel.)

now, i'm open to suggestions... in this price range.
i'd like an amp with distortion... (maybe some noisegate)
in the previous post i stated:
"i've heard that an amp with build in distortion can't be matched by a pedal"

so, that's what i'm looking for.

What is the pricerange?

Your not really going to get a decent noise gate WITH an amp.

isn't a tube amp more... sensitive?
i mean: tubes do burn out... then u have to search fore replacements, order... wait...
is it worth the extra trouble? (of course it is, but i mean, for my needs that are modest at the time)

thanks for your support!

I replace my tubes maybe once a year?
And I gig constantly.

Finding replacement tubes is about as hard as finding grass on the ground in summer.

Tube amps DESTROY anything else for band situations because, unlike solid state amps, you can turn them up to earsplitting volumes and still have the same clarity and warmth.
The thing with most tube amps is that, the only way to get them to sound their best is by turning it up.
At rehearsals I have my volume on my 5150 up to 3, which gets plenty loud.
Plenty loud to the point where my drummer is hitting the drums extremely hard so he can hear himself.
But a while back when I brought my 2 x 10 fender combo, I could have the volume at 10 and could barely hear it.

andrei

pricerange is < 300+ euro that is < 450 usd

KFW

Listen to Riff Master.

I reccomend a used Flextone head. You can find them pretty cheap, and they sound a lot better than the Spiders.

andrei

thanks for all the imputs guys!

buying something used here is... no option...
but i've looked the G3 and the ValveKing up on thomann (.de) and they go for 400 / 450 eur.

do they come with decent distortion? (couldn't figure from the specs)
i notice most amps say: clean channel / overdrive channel...
but overdrive isn't quite distortion...

or will i still have to use the pedal ?
(i have no problem with that - just a bit noisy - but lots of people on the board bitch about it with every opportunity)

again, thanks everyone for clearing this up for me!

cheers,

andrei.

DarkKnight369

thanks for all the imputs guys!

buying something used here is... no option...
but i've looked the G3 and the ValveKing up on thomann (.de) and they go for 400 / 450 eur.

do they come with decent distortion? (couldn't figure from the specs)
i notice most amps say: clean channel / overdrive channel...
but overdrive isn't quite distortion...

or will i still have to use the pedal ?
(i have no problem with that - just a bit noisy - but lots of people on the board bitch about it with every opportunity)

again, thanks everyone for clearing this up for me!

cheers,

andrei.

I am sure you can hunt down a used Flex II head wherever you are. Just look online.

Bravo to Mr. Majik for pointing this thread in the right direction.

Post to Thread