Convert me to Line6!

Updated
capoeiraesp
So, something that's been catchin my eye lately is the hd147. I've noticed alot of people here talking about them and hearing some very postive feedback. My 5150mk2 is tempting me to do some extra mods, re-tubing etc. but in the same sense i'm starting to feel limited by what it can do and repair/upgrade costs are not terribly inspiring. I'm yet to play on a hd147 so I can't judge yet. Opinions please, especially metal players who like a bit of variance in what they play i.e blues, jazz etc...
capoeiraesp

So mike, you own one?

capoeiraesp

hmm i wondered about the Vetta II aswell... it's a bit outta the budget cause I also wanna buy a std horizon this summer. I am generally a high gainer, minimal effects sorta player so the hd147 sounds up my alley.
Anyone got any personal clips? i'm not overly impressed by the line6 examples esspecially with Ben Moodey.

KFW

Try and play one in person, then you can get the whole feel and experience of what it sounds like in person. I don't like bassing my decisions on clips, there are so many other variables that can either make or break the clip. I'll just tell you that they do sound awesome, and the many different options for tones kicks ass. You can go from a perfect high gain sound, to a perfect clean sound with any effects you want at the click of a single button, without having to compromise.

BrazilianBootyLover

How is the Vetta one? Theres one at my local music shop in the used section. I was thinking about trying it out.

Mr Pigwalk

How is the Vetta one? Theres one at my local music shop in the used section. I was thinking about trying it out.

I got my Vetta 1 for about 830 on ebay, they're a goddamn steam for the price, Saved a few bucks by reusing my Spider cab and it's going strong.

Mike is the Line6 pimp. He'll get you all hot and bothered for the HD147, and then convince you that the Vetta II is a much better amp, and you will buy one. That's what happened to me. Bastard!

Familiar story.... Think that bastard gets comission?

esp_gaijin

what kind of speakers do all you poo pushers use with your hd147's and vettas?

i don't actually have any valid question, i just wanted to pop in here and call a whole group of people poo pushers. :o

BrazilianBootyLover

I was going to get an engl 50 watt combo amp for my room but I want to try the vetta first. I'm looking for a great bedroom amp up to par with my normal rig(engl blackmore mesa cab). my rig is at my bands practice space which I only use on the weekends so I need something great cause I'll be using it every day mon-fri.

XY-SATAN

I was going to get an engl 50 watt combo amp for my room but I want to try the vetta first. I'm looking for a great bedroom amp up to par with my normal rig(engl blackmore mesa cab). my rig is at my bands practice space which I only use on the weekends so I need something great cause I'll be using it every day mon-fri.

That's what I use mine for and it works great!:hat

Plus it's got the balls to jam with if needed.

load more replies (1 of 1)
chrisolson

The big selling point for L6 for me was the fact that I could use the amp I wanted when I wanted to use it. I disagree about the amp "not having it's own character". I think it has it's own and then some (I'm talking about the Flextone series - I have not owned the Vetta). I can dial in tones on the Soldano & Marshall models that I cannot dial in on the actual amp - not without mods, pedals, MASSIVE VOLUME, etc. In all honesty, I don't really care so much about what amp is modeled as long as it sounds good - when and where am I going to be able to just walk into a shop and plug into a Dumble, Cornford, Budda, etc?? And if I like them...well, too bad. I could never afford one.

I just sold a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb head -- there was nothing wrong with it and I really liked it. But here was the problem - I could only sound like Mesa. If that's the only amp you like, great, but that was not the case for me. I love Marshall tones, but cannot find a Marshall right now I'd want to spend the money on - the new ones blow, and the old ones are getting too expensive. To me, L6 is the perfect answer. I can play a Marshall when I want. You get the idea... If i were ever to get in a band situation (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!), it would probably be a cover band, and L6 is the perfect answer -- I can play the amp played in the song.

One other thing -- I tend to find that once you find a "set-up" you like, it works pretty well across most amp models. I tend to EQ at about 1 or 2 o'clock on damn near everything. That's a curve my ears find pleasing, and it cuts through pretty well. The effects are VERY easy to use. You don't have to know MIDI - I like that!! The argument that L6 amps are complicated just doesn't hold water with me. I can sit in front of ANY L6 amp and have a great usable tone within 5 minutes of sitting there.

One other hidden gem - if you can, close the back of the open back cabs/combos. You'll be much happier if you're playing any of the higher gain models. It doesn't have to be airtight - just closed up.

Rig I just sold: Mesa Rectoverb head >> TC Electronic G-Major >>Mesa Recto Cab
Current (interim) rig: L6 Floor POD Plus >> Alesis RA-100 poweramp (stereo) >>Mesa Recto Cab
New rig in December: L6 Spider Valve 100 HD w/FBV Express >> Mesa Recto Cab

Mr Pigwalk

Are the specific pedal names part of that one upgrade they sell? What is it, like 30 40 bucks?

Are you blind as shit too? BEcause when I'm onstage and I don't have my glasses I can't see dick on that shortboard, the ghetto paint is a killer idea.

Post to Thread