EC-1000T anyone ever make an OFF Switch?

Updated
Rob P.

Hi all,

I recently picked up an EC-1000T with Fishman active pickups. LOVE the sound, the voicing options and the responsiveness. 

HOWEVER......this thing eats 9V batteries like a starving dog. I've had it for 9 days and I'm on my 3rd battery.

After battery replacement #2 I read up and found out that I need to unplug the guitar, but I hate having to do this. 

It would be easy enough to wire a toggle to cut the battery connection, but I would be more interested in rewiring the Voice 1 Vol with an OFF switch when its turned down all the way- this is already a habit for my other guitars, it would be the most convenient and natural feeling solution for me.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone know what parts I would need and how to go about it without degrading the sound in any way?

I can't find a service manual or parts list for this model, and ESP has only one manual for ALL their guitars...

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

metalhobo

you'd need a pot which has an spst switch which was open at minimum travel. afaik no such thing exists. one thing you could do is use a push/pull or push/push pot to throw the 9 V power on/off. dpdt push/pull pots are very common. but you'd have to remember to pull the pot to turn the power off.

but honestly millions of people have active pickups and have formed the habit of just unplugging the guitar when not in use. it's not very hard at all and after no time you forget you're even doing it because it becomes so habitual.

Rob P.

I customize just about everything- my workflow, my DJ software, my DAW, my OS, my phone, my vehicle. I practice intermittently throughout any given day, 5 or 10 minutes here and there,  I'm used to just slinging my guitar over my shoulder, turning up my vol knob and jamming, then being able to flick the vol to zero and put it back on the stand. That happens up to 20 times a day. I would prefer a satisfying click at zero on the vol switch but i will look into the push pull option as choice #2. The only thing i'm concerned about it is getting the electronics right. The voice 1 Vol pot just says "fishman" on it but no specs- looks like i'll have to put some effort into finding a compatible pot with what i want, if it exists at all.

Pushead

Do you hate unplugging the guitar more than paying for a 9v battery every week?

The circuit on active batteries is completed when the ground (sleeve) of the 1/4" jack is inserted. You would need to put a switch in between the negative battery terminal and the battery connection on the jack. It would (likely) require a hole drilled into the control cavity cover to install a switch of some sort.

It's doable, but kind of silly to me. In my experience leaving any guitar plugged in is an invitation for someone (band members, kids, pets, busy owners) to accidentally pull the guitar off the stand and damage the guitar.

Rob P.

Yeah, it is silly, but its what I want. maybe I'll make a jack with auto-off timer. It's weird that this hasn't been addressed by manufacturers already. Kind of like how video cards don't have HDMI-CEC built in for TVs, it doesnt make sense that there isnt a cheap and easy solution.

metalhobo
Rob P. wrote:

Yeah, it is silly, but its what I want. maybe I'll make a jack with auto-off timer. It's weird that this hasn't been addressed by manufacturers already. Kind of like how video cards don't have HDMI-CEC built in for TVs, it doesnt make sense that there isnt a cheap and easy solution.

there is a cheap and easy solution. unplug the cable when you're done playing.

Pushead

The other option with Fishman is to get one of their rechargable battery packs.

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/universal-rechargeable-battery-pack/

Rob P.

That may be an option. I've already gotten an 8 pack of rechargable 9Vs, and I could put in a tool-free battery door like my active bass has on it.

Pushead

If you're not adverse to physically modding the guitar, just put an on/off switch through the front of the guitar and you'll be all set.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GSW-18-Heavy-Duty-Electrical/dp/B00004WLKC

Post to Thread