Truss Rod

Updated
Truss Rod

Yep, you guessed right. STRIPPED. Never touched a truss rod in my life and was removing the cover for it on my H-100. Noticed it was stripped to hell!. My dad bought this guitar brand new for me when I was 13(15 years ago). Really not trying to junk out this guitar because I've had it for so long. Any saving it? What would a tech say about this? Price isn't an object-I know the guitar isn't worth anything as far as cash value-I just want to play it/preserve it as long as I can.

Pushead

What makes you think it's stripped? I mean, it may well be, but did you try turning it, or was it broken under the cover? There are things that can be done to fix it, but it depends on what's wrong.

Sean G.

Well it is SUPPOSED to be a hex fitting right? Looks like it could've once been, anyway. Looks like a stripped out allen head... Like the hex fitting looks rounded off pretty good :/

Pushead

Yeah, it's a 7mm (or 5/16") nut. The good news is that if you can get the old one off, it can just be replaced with another. If you take the guitar to a competent tech, it should be a reasonably easy fix.

Pushead

Oh. I just had a look at the LTD line. Some models are using dual acting truss-rods (surprising!) So it might be a 4mm allen key / hex wrench.

My experience with those is that it's sometimes difficult to get to get the wrench into the nut. There's a round opening, then the actual nut is another 1/4" inside. With the small slot for access, I find I need to use a ball end allen key to get it to seat properly.

No guarantee it will fix your problem, it still may be toast, but it may be something worth trying.

MV-CTM

Also make sure you slack the strings before you adjust the truss rod.

Sean G.

I'm definitely not trusting myself to do this. I'll bring it to a tech that I feel knows what he/she is doing. Also gonna need to be intonated because my God, it's horrible. Was thinking about taking the EMG-HZs out of an old Schecter I have and getting a tech to put those in the LTD since it'll be in the shop anyway. I had put a DD (Detonator?) in the bridge, and I think it sounds pretty awesome... It just doesn't pair well with the factory neck pickup.  What do y'all think?

Sean G.

Or just fork up the cash and put in an 81/85 set?

Post to Thread