Fake LTD EXP?

Updated
venndi k.

Hello!

On ebay is an LTD EXP, but little strange for me, becouse I read that the EXP's have serial number on the back of the headstock, or on the last fret. But this guitar have no serial number. So, the ESP had manufactured LTD EXP without serial numbers? And the colour is also too white for me...doesn't?

Pushead

It's legit.  My LTD only had a number on the neck plate.  Nothing on the headstock or fretboard.  The shape is right.  The tuners and pickups have been replaced.

Nathan S.

Did you buy it??? I can't find the listing on Ebay.

venndi k.

But on the neck plate is also no serial number. I have contacted the seller, and he answer me, that the guitar had serial number under the neck plate, in the neck pocket. But of course he won't to unscrew...

It is possible, that the SN is in the neck pocket?

Nathan: It's still on ebay

Nathan S.

That's weird, my black one has the # stamped into the fretboard. That white does seem to be really bright white for what should have been an Olympic white guitar.

Nathan S.

I don't know why but I still cannot find the listing. Can you post a link?

venndi k.

Now is gone, the seller sold it before the end of the auction, or changed his mind and just won't sell it. It was on german ebay.

ESP 348

Looked pretty nice too, shame it's not listed for sale anymore.

Nathan S.
ESP 348 wrote:

Looked pretty nice too, shame it's not listed for sale anymore.

Yeah it does look like it was in decent shape. But something just does not seem right with the color. White is way to bright, even if it never seen the light of day since new Olympic white should be creamier than that. I would have wanted to see some more pics before pulling the trigger. Makes me wonder if someone gave it a repaint and went to the effort of even having a replacement LTD decal made???

venndi k.

I think its a repainted...it's really too bright. It looks like more epiphone white. Just for comparing, here is az LTD AW and Epi White colour.

venndi k.

Here is the rest of the pictures.

It's painted or not, what do you think?

venndi k.

Someone? What do you think? It was repainted?

It's possible that the serial number is in the neck pocket? I konow that some LTD's SN is in neck pocket, but by EXP series?

Nathan S.

Man I'm not sure what to think. My gut still says it is too bright to be original Olympic white. But if someone did repaint it, they did a hell of a good job on the LTD logo. They did put a different truss rod cover on it.

Nathan S.

Just looked at the EC401 that ESP currently offers in Olympic white, it's brighter than I thought. Just can't believe for as old as that guitar is it hasn't yellowed out more. That's the guitar I've been looking for for a long time, wish I could find one.

venndi k.

The LTD logo has different colours, than the other LTD EXP olympic white guitar above...grey-gold instead of black-gold. Yeah, probably repainted, therefore have no SN on the back of the headstock.

Nathan S.

If you look at the product archive 1998 catalog (the only year white was listed as a color option) it actually has a silver logo on the white one. I think there was alot of inconsistencies back then in regards to logo colors, inlays, 12th fret markers, etc. So, I'm not counting out the logo on it. I believe serial # started on the back of the headstock in 1999, which white was not available then. So, if it truly was a real Olympic white model, it would have been a 1998, and would not have had serial number on the back of the headstock. 

venndi k.

Hi!

I bought finally this guitar, but I'm scared, that it's a copy. I had make a couple photos about details.

I have noticed for example that on the fret, there is a mistakes from the painting at the edge, I don't know it iwas normal at that time or not.

The headstock on the 7th picture, isn't right angle, also don't konow how should be it.

The screws(?) by the tailpiece is really suck, you can see, that screw which are in the bore, it is tilted, the bore is bigger then it should be, or the screws are smaller than it should be, I can easy get it out without effort. On the guitar bridge stay "sung il".

I would make more picture if it's need, to identify the originality.

Pushead

It still looks legit to me.  It's definitely been refinished, and the pickups are new, but I said that in my first post here.  I'd like to see another photo of the volute (bump on the back of the headstock).

I've uploaded all of the photos I have of my old EXP-200 for you to compare.

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/Pushead_cic/library/LTD%20EXP-200?sort=9&page=1

The bridge posts pulling out is a fairly common thing.  Especially if they were removed improperly before the guitar was refinished.  It's nothing to worry about.  If you want it fixed, you'll have to fill the holes with a wooden dowel and redrill the holes.

Post to Thread