The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

LordRevan

No chance it's an early custom version, am I correct? Everything screams fake here but you never know, which is why I posted it. Current owner said it was given to him by a friend who owed him and the guitar was stored in a warehouse. He does not know much more about the guitar. The bridge is not an original Floyd Rose nor a Snyder that were installed in early Horizon models. The professional decal on the headstock throws me off. The holes of the 3 pots and pickup switch do not look well made like what we are used to in proper ESP guitars.

Pushead

There's not one particular thing that I could claim wasn't an early to mid 80s guitar, but it just feels wrong.  Mostly, I think it's the scarf joint at the headstock, and the fact that they recessed the knobs and switch on a veneer top.  You can see the body wood through those areas and it just doesn't feel "right" to me.

LordRevan

The nearest thing I found is the following:

As you said you are not supposed to see the veneer from the top where the pots and switch are. Here the bridge is a Snyder which does not match the one I am looking at. Also the headstock clearly spells Horizon on all Horizons I have seen. It does not look right to me.

Pushead

Yeah, I can't say outright that it isn't an ESP, but it just feels weird.  Previous owner may have stripped the paint and done a veneer top (I can't imagine there was a veneer on the original guitar), and replaced the sinclair trem with a Floyd (I've done that.)

It just feels off.

LordRevan

Have the same feeling. I'd hate to pass on a good deal though.

Pushead

Good luck making a decision man.

Vadim Z.

Hello!

I sold my old guitar and want to update my gear. Found this ESP M2 with a bolt on neck on the Internet for a good price.

Please help to understand is this one fake or legit.

Things that make me doubt about the authenticity of this guitar:

1) a little bit smooth serial number, and a letter "S" instead of "SS";

2) screws on the floyd rose (usually they are hexahedrons);

3) truss rod form, to me it's short.

Your opinion?

thanks

Vadim Z.

Vadim Z.

serial number in a better quality.

Pushead

It's legit. The screw version Floyd is an older model and may have been replaced along the way.  The "S" serial number may be a mistake.  A single "S" is usually the prefix for Custom Shop built guitars from the Sado factory.  This guitar may have come from there as well.

Vadim Z.

Thank you very much

Vadim Z.

http://www.franky-net.eu/html/ESPMII.htm

have found another ESP M2 with a bolt on neck, older floyd screws and "S" serial number on the Internet. Guitar was also made in 2005 due to serial number. 

Is there any chance ESP just made standard M2 on the Sado factory in that period of time?

Pushead

Absolutely.  During that era, the different "factories" had different specialities.  There were "Custom Shop" level instruments made at each, and there were "Standard Series" guitars made at each.  It just really depended on how the production of the specific instrument was handled.  Standard Series guitars were mostly production line; one group makes the bodies, another the neck, then on to frets and paint, etc.

Custom Shop guitars were mostly made (or at least overseen) by a single luthier.  They ended up getting a bit more attention than one that was just on the production line.

Nguyen H.

Hi everyone!

I have just purchased an old eclipse II but there are concerns about the authenticity of this guitar:

1. The logo is blocking instead of script font.

2. There's no signature of inspector on the inspection sticker on the back. Does it mean that the guitar did not get through inspection in US? Can an esp guitar go out to the dealer without such signature or even inspection sticker?

Can you please indicate whether this is legit esp eclipse II? Base on the serial number can you tell the year and place/factory of production?

Here are some pics:

Pushead

It's legit.  This was during the transition year of 2013, which was when ESP was transitioning from the ESP Standard brand to E-II.  That ESP logo was the first attempt at creating a difference between ESP Standard and the ESP Original and Custom guitars.  LTD Elite was also a one year designation, with a logo in a similar font.

Post to Thread