The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

Looks more like a Schecter than an LTD.  Photos are kind of small, so it's difficult to tell, but the LTD logo looks questionable.

I can't say that I've ever seen that 12th fret inlay on an LTD before.

This model doesn't show up in the 2005 catalog:

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/esp/downloads/000/000/086/ESP-2005-Catalog.pdf?1392144618

Rick P.

Thank you! I had my doubts also! 

Pushead

Bam!  Called it:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/media/k2/attachments/2005_Catalog.pdf

What you have there is a Schecter C-1 Elite with an LTD decal and truss rod cover.  I don't know why someone would bother altering it, those Schecters are just as nice as the LTD at the same price range.

angeldef

Intersted in this guitar, but not sure if this is authentic. No serial number or any indication on the headstock. I don't have a clue about ESP guitar but on my research some esp eclipse don't have serial (for some reason, earlier ones).

Here are some pics he has and sent me. (are those seymour pickups? no name on them though.)

Let me know please

Pushead

Nope.  Sorry man, that's a fake.

angeldef

Oh i thought so... What gave it away?

Pushead

Headstock, inlays, fretboard, binding, volute, bridge, no markings on the back of the headstock...

Plus, you can tell that the headstock has been broken on this. Not a sign that it's fake, but it's a sign of something you might want to stay away from.

There's lots of tells on this one.  I suspect the price is also a tell.

Dylan P.

Thinking of buying this guitar? Curios if it's a fake or not , as I can't find much info on the mh350nt online

Dylan P.

Dylan P.

Dylan P.

Pushead

Looks good to me.

Martin B.

^ Seconded.

LordRevan

Hi, I bumped into what does not seem to be a legit ESP. An Horizon (which is what this model resembles) should have Horizon printed on the headstock. Also the ESP inlay is missing from the fretboard. No ESP logo or serial number in the back of the headstock. Pickups are unbranded and the pickup selector socket looks weird. I can't tell if the bridge is an original Floyd Rose.

LordRevan

It seems as if they stripped a Jackson logo from the headstock and slapped an ESP logo on it.

Pushead

I'd stay away.  I doubt it's a Jackson, but it may be a JB Player or other inexpensive asian made instrument. 

Post to Thread