The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

Hey Jose. Those are pretty terrible angles for the photos of the guitar. Are those the only two photos the seller has available? Does he have any photos of the same guitar before the refinish?

I'm not super familiar with the Steph guitars, but you're right, the volute on the back of the headstock looks pretty concerning.

Scott F.

I am interested in this guitar. The ESP logo is a different colour to the eclipse logo. Is this legit?

Pushead

The Eclipse logo is usually a orange/gold color. The color of the ESP logo varies depending on the finish.

The guitar appears to be legit. A 2009 model.

Scott F.

these are the other pics 

Scott F.

Thank you

Scott F.

This is the headstock with the original tuners

Pushead

Yep, it's legit.

Scott F.

Thank you Really appreciate the help!! It’s my first Eclipse after owning an E-II ST-2. Never had a guitar with EMGs on neither so I’m really looking forward to it. Got a Gibson LP, Fender USA Strat so it’s time to check out the world of active pickups! 

Dimmu B.

Hey guys. Thank you for this thread. I'm looking for my second ESP, this one looks legit to me, can you double check? It's advertized as an Eclipse 1 CTM from 2007. Thanks.

Pushead

Yes, it's legit. A 2006 Eclipse I CTM.

Dimmu B.

Thanks a lot. I'm buying it

Hey, are you the "guy in his basement" who made a youtube video about the different esp models? I found it very informative, thanks again!

Pushead

That was me.

Mark M.

So I’m working out a trade and just wanted to see if I could verify authenticity.  From most of my cross referencing everything seems pretty legit but a professional opinion would be greatly appreciated 

Brian F.

I have a 5-string that a friend gave me several years ago that I can't find any info on. I have the cover off the truss rod and the electronics on the back just to look for clues and work on the instrument. Yhe back of the body is concave. The action is super high and the bridge is shotty so I am trying to figure out if it is worth putting money into it to make it playable or if I should just look for a different instrument. Thank you!

Pushead

Hi Brian. I'm sorry to tell you that your bass doesn't seem to be an ESP. The easier tells are the truss rod cavity opening, 3-screw TRC cover and the lack of a volute on the back of the headstock. There are other tells as well.

That doesn't mean it's not an instrument that would benefit good setup, and play well.

Marlon M.

Hi Guys. I found 2 EXP's. Both through Reverb. I wanna buy one. I'm leaving some pictures here since they're in the upper 5k. I need help before spending big bucks on this, Thank you Pushead and RZK!

Marlon M.

Marlon M.

I know that the inlays are not original on the diamond plate, but the seller said that they were done by VanWhy. I want to know if the rest of the guitar is original or not... I'm kinda scared. Thank you guys.

Pushead

Both guitars are legit. VanWhy Inlay does really great work. He did the inlay for a (non-ESP) explorer I had built and was delivered back in February.

Post to Thread