The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

The photos are of a legit Original Series ESP guitar. Whether or not the auction/listing is real is a different story. It's a custom shop level guitar, so it should be pretty pricey.

O—O

Alright thanks for the reply.

Avenue13

Hi ESP peeps. I’m checking out this ESP SRC / Stef-6 and for the most part it looks ok. Logos seem okay, overall design seems ok too. Pickups have been swapped.  What’s concerning is the serial #. It’s 8 digits being DDMMY### so no letters.  I’m assuming this dates it pre 2000 so 1999 being the first year I think of this model. Problem with checking the serial is that the Y part being the last number of the year of manufacture is a 1 and so all look ups I’ve tried don’t date this correctly e.g comes up as 1991. I’ve attached some pics of the guitar in general for you to see I don't want to post the full serial as yet as I haven’t purchased it. Thoughts?

Cheers,

A13  

Pushead

Hey man, this one is legit. They didn't switch to the lettered serial number format until 2003ish, so it's quite possible that this is a 2001 model.

I've always wanted to try one of these, but have never had a chance. I'm curious as to what the middle pickup sound is.

Avenue13

Thanks for the info man. A bit more reassuring since it’s not cheap ! Cheers!

Bilbert

Just wondering if this esp horizon is legit. Thanks!

Bilbert

Is this one legit? Thanks!

Pushead

Hey Blibert, it looks to be a legit 2004 Horizon FR-I.

Eric B.

I bought this used from an Amazon seller. Can you tell me if it looks real?

Eric B.

LTD GH-200

Pushead

Yeah, the GH looks good to me. A 2012 model.

Neel P.

Hi , 

i wanted to find out if this eclipse looks ok ! Its swapped with Fishman will adler pickups 

Neel P.

pics for reference 

Pushead

It's legit. A 2006 model.

Neel P.

Thank You Pushead. Always been a dream to own a japanese made eclipse with the ESP headstock. 
Looks like previous owner might have changed the gold knobs to black also ? i couldnt find any photos onlne for VB eclipse with black knobs. 

Pushead

Yeah, maybe. They're inexpensive and easy to replace.

Daniel M.

Hi there,

I’m about to buy this guitar. The current owner bought to a guy in Japan who had it under the bed for more than 30 years. 

The seller told me that he thinks it is a custom shop from 1983/84/85. But for more we both searched in the catalog we did not fin anything similar. Also, for what I see the banana headstock does not appear until 1987. Am I right? 

Even I know about the sticker they used to put in the headstock back in the day (instead of the water slide) I’m quite confused with this. It is in the right place? It is legit?

What you guys think? Year of production? It is a real ESP? 

Thanks for you time and help. 

Daniel M.

Pushead

Hey Daniel, unfortunately, the 80s era guitars are outside my wheelhouse. I just don't have enough experience with them to know for sure. I do know that there was an ESP Series line of guitars, which I think came before they used the 800 Series or 400 Series names. I don't think I've ever seen one labeled on the headstock like that. I'm also a bit suspicious of the shelf the nut sits on and the way it doesn't support the full nut. Perhaps the Floyd (or at least the nut) isn't stock.

It might be a special order guitar from the 80s, it might be a re-badged Kramer (which were built by ESP around that era). I just don't know enough to be more help than to say it looks cool and I like the color.

Daniel M.

Thank you for your time and help Pushead. Much appreciated.

Jose M.

Can anyone verify this guitar?

Seller tells me it was previously refinished. Said there is a route for a second pickup under the pick guard. When comparing it to the esp and Ltd Stephen carpenter models it looks very close, but it’s missing the battery box in the back and the carve where the neck meets the headstock is different.

I’ve included 2 pictures to show the details I am referencing. The headstock says designed and built by esp on the back, and just esp in the front. 

thanks ! 

Post to Thread