The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

As I said in the other thread, it's a legit 2010 Eclipse II. I like it.

In 2010, it would be an ESP Standard Series, not an E-II.

Winters637

Hi there,

Thanks for doing this for people.

Do you mind letting me know if you think this 2012 Eclipse Standard is legit? I've had it for a while (5+ years) and got it new for an amazing price.

edit: forgot to add photos of the back.

Pushead

It's legit. A 2012 Eclipse II in the reindeer blue finish.

tommaso f.

Hi, do you think this one is legit or fake? Got the pics from an italian ad site, the ad says "ESP V2 made in Japan" but I can't find any other references to a ESP model named V2.

Thanks

Pushead

The photos are a bit lacking, but the serial number and logos are all right. It's a 2009 V-II. I didn't find the model in the product archive for 2009, but it was a legit model. Not a ton of them made, but the LTD version was pretty popular that year. Actually, there were a lot of Vs that year between signatures and the rest.

tommaso f.

Thanks!!

Tom B.

Is this real or fake? Looks like 2012 model, but with Custom Shop stamp and 24 frets - i can't find similar spec model on internet.

Pushead

It's a fake. Sorry man. There are some easy tells on it, but the back plate in the first photo was enough.

Craig L.

Hey everyone. Hope I can find a bit of help here. Maybe you have seen this one before. I have a chance for a trade and something irks me about this. It looks totally legit at the face of it but some things don't add up. It's said to be a custom order, but it comes with a standard series serial number, logo, and oddly, an inspected in USA sticker on the back plate?  Was told this was a thing you could do back in 2012, but cant understand why it wouldn't be a custom shop, and why would it need to be inspected in the USA?. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it could be a refinished LTD but the carve seems Japanese and I don't know LTD horizons with blank fretboards and black binding

Pushead

It's legit, a 2012 Horizon NT model. ESP occasionally does one-off or small runs of different finishes for dealers the company has good relationships with. I have three such guitars.

Craig L.

Thank you so so much!

Sean L.

Hey guys! Need help ID-ing this Edwards ESP superstrat. Have asked around and the best guess is that this is a mid 80s prototype non-production Mirage of some sort, due to its configuration, lack of finish and 1982-1985 weird Mirage styled Strat body.

https://imgur.com/a/YbpheUQ

Owner has no details and also thinks its a prototype escapee, what do you think?

Pushead

The logo looks real, but I have no other experience with those guitars, especially from that era.

Bilbert

Hey guys, just wondering if this 2006 Eclipse Standard is legit, thanks!

Pushead

It's legit. 2006 Eclipse II

Bilbert

Thank you. Do you know what inlay material esp used at this time? It looks better than the current e-ii line. Is it real mother of pearl? 

Pushead

I don't know the inlay material. What I can share from experience is that the inlays before 2008 are of a less wavy material than what they've used since. Whether it's actually a MOP or a different provider of the pearloid, I don't know.

bratsvt

What does the "s" stand for? I know the date is when the guitar was made.

Post to Thread