The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

bryan m.

Hey guys. Im hoping you fine folks can help me with verifying an Eclipse I found. Its an '06 in dead mint condition and all original except the pickup rings. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Nathan S.

It's legit, nice score!

Supagorgonizer

Hi Guys,

wondering if you can help. I've seen this for sale and was wondering if there was any reason to doubt it's genuine. Details below:

• "Genuine ESP custom built Baritone double cut away six string electric guitar."

• Mahogany neck thru mahogany body.

• Rosewood fingerboard.

• Sperzel trim-loc tuners.

• Babicz full contact hardware.

• Seymour Duncan JB set with Blackout active pre-amp.

I noticed there is no custom shop stamp - but I gather that is not always the case. I’ve tried searching for any info and no luck (apart from it was possibly built in 1999), though I guess if this is a true custom shop order there would be no way to find anything out anyway... except playing it?

Pushead

The photos are kind of small, but the logo and headstock shape look good.  The serial number would be from before 2003 or so.  I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'd like to see more before offering an opinion.  Are there any more photos you could share? 

Supagorgonizer

No problem! hopefully these are a bit better:

Pushead

Yeah, I'd say it's legit.  I suspect the small switch and the bridge are aftermarket,

Supagorgonizer

nice one, cheers!

Skilletfan

Hey RZK AND Pushead! I wanted to know if this esp ltd mh301 is fake? I just bought it from Sam Ash's reverb. If you need more photos reply to me.

Skilletfan

Serial number: R0310517

Skilletfan

Also whoever had it before loaded it up with a better EMG pickup, so it has one EMG and one EMG HZ. I'll copy the description for you the only that gets me is in the serial number it has an R and I can't find other ones withan R, but TBH I can't find much info on this guitar! if you can help Pushead its greatly appreciated.

Here's the description.

Esp makes some great guitars and the MH301 is no exception! Loaded with a EMG-HZ in the neck and a EMG in the bridge paired up with a 3 way switch, one volume and one tone knob! Does not come with a case. There is some body damage as shown in the pictures.

Neck Type:Neck Through

Body Wood:Mahogany

Tail:Tremolo

Top Wood:Flamed Maple 

Neck Wood:Mahogany

Fretboard Wood: Rosewood

Inlays: Small Block

Bound Neck: Yes

Hardware: Black

Pickups: HH

Electronics(Controls): Vol/Ton/3 Way

Modifications: 

Case: None

RZK

Looks good to me. Congrats on the new guitar!

Danny B.

Hi,

i want to buy an ESP LTD EC-1000T. The guy said he bought it on Ebay. I know there's a lot of fake guitars these time around. The guy lives liked a 1h from. From the pictures, can you guys help me to make sure it's a real one?

Thanks!!!

Pushead

It's legit.  Those EC-1000 guitars are really solid players.  I don't think I've ever played a maple fretboard model, but it looks nice in that finish.

Danny B.

Thanks for the quick reply!

i've looked on guitarscollector.com and for the esp it says

---------- From 2000 to 2015 ----------

PPYYWWDNN

(stamped on the back of the headstock). PP = place of manufacture: K = ESP Kiso Factory (Japan) / set-neck and neck-thru only; S = ESP Sado Factory (Japan) / bolt-on only; T = ESP Takada Factory (Japan) / ESP Custom Shop SS = ESP Standard Factory / Signature Series or Standard Series CH = Craft House CS = Craft House (used rarely) TH = Technical House N = Nagano Factory YY = last two digits of the year WW = week of the year (max.52) D = day of that week: 1 = monday, 2 = tuesday,... (max.7) NN = number off the line that day (max.99) EXAMPLE: the code of my MX-250 K0604202 means the manufacturing date is 24.01.2006 and it was the 2nd guitar built that day.

That guitar starts with a W...?!

Danny B.

Here's 2 more pictures of the LTD EC-1000T...Pushhead still thinks it's legit? Thanks?

Nathan S.

Yes it is legit. The s/n format you mention above does not apply to LTD'S 

Post to Thread