The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

It's legit, a 2012 model.

Jo M.

I was not sure because of that made in japan sticker

Jo M.

And what about that tremolo? Is it original?

Jo M.

And also the serial number font seems a bit odd to me, i have esp m2 urban camo and the font is different, and there is GOTOH written on the back of the tuners, the guy who is selling this wants really big money so I just want to be sure.

Dr. Márcio O.

I guess i posted in the wrong thread.

Really really wanted this but still afraid because of the spaces on in the S in the headstock

Now that i had time to read more of the posts i know that Pushead knows the stuff and he said its ok 

Almost going for it...

Pics are bad but its what a i have access to...

Pushead

I'll give you the same answer in this thread that I gave you in the other. It's legit. But if you don't feel comfortable because the logo on the head stock is scratched, don't buy it. There are thousands of these out there. You'll find another one.

Dr. Márcio O.

Thank you for your answers! I think I will get it and post here in details 

Timbawolf

Hi, I’ve just received this LTD EC-401 from Reverb - plays real nice but before I go all out I’d really appreciate your thoughts on it (I have a small return window and having read the posts feeling very worried about the number of fakes out there).

On a related note, the nut is slightly lopsided and slightly higher on the bass side, I Googled it and looked around the net but can’t see a detail or clear answer if this is normal.  On my last electric and current acoustic the nut is straight-ish along with the fretboard radius. Thanks! Really do appreciate your help on this - this is a brilliant and helpful thread!

Pushead

It's legit. A 2017 model. The lopsided nut isn't particularly a problem as long as the string height over the 1st fret is OK. Your first photo of the nut shows the high E out of the groove. If the string isn't staying in the groove, that's also a problem. Play it for a while and if the string isn't popping out, the guitar is staying in tune and isn't buzzing at the 1st or 2nd frets, I'd say you're in good shape.

Samaël

Hey guys i was treasure hunting for a week to find myself a esp Ltd SC 607 - b natural gloss 

(Very tough one to get your hands on these days)

I was searching on a lot of european marketplaces since i am from belgium.

I came across a dude from germany mentioning selling one i was happy but That was shortlived after seeing the headstock build design ...

the normal 607 had a non reversed headstock and 25,5 scale lenght while the 607b had/has the reversed and 27 scale 

He replaced the old (emg707 and tuners) with fishman SC sigs and schaller lockingtuners

The angle of the headstock is off and odd plus there is no "esp" trademark placed at the back it seems to have a serial number but bad pics i guess...

body and neck buildwise it's correct but i dont trust it he is asking 700$  he is the second owner so i dont think he is doing this on purpose. 

The picture on top is the "so called sc607b headstock and the pic below is taken from a natural gloss sc607b on reverb

link to the site and the guitar 

Down below:

Gerade bei #eBayKleinanzeigen gefunden. Wie findest du das?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/esp-ltd-sc607b-7-string-7-string-fishman-fluence/1609404178-74-1946?utm_source=sharesheet&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Share me your expertise 

Wfr

Samaël

Pushead

I don't have a lot of experience with the Steph models. Combine that with poor quality photos and I don't feel like I can offer an opinion about the guitar.

MX Fan

Hi,

I am about to buy this axe and I think is legit. It has certificate and everything. It advertised as MX220/250 but it says EX00T17 on certificate. What do you guys think?

A quick feedback would be appreciated. Thx!

Fordman65

What made you not buy this?

Pushead

It's legit. It seems to come from an era where ESP was changing serial number formats. The dual line serial number seems to point to it being an early order from 2001. It's somewhat different from an MX-II (what the 250 was eventually renamed as.) The inlaid logo is a nice addition, but they're just decals on the MX-II. Also the rosewood board was probably specially requested.

MX Fan

Great, when you say somewhat different. Do you mean shape wise? So would you say this is a better guitar than MX2 or 250….quality wise?

thnx

Pushead

The logo and rosewood are the "somewhat different" I was referring to. The head stock shape seems a bit larger, but that may just be the angle the photo is taken. Quality wise, I'd suspect they're the same. Both guitars are made in the custom shop, so they should be equivalent.

MX Fan

Thnx for your feedback and confirmation . Takes a lot of the burden from my shoulders

MX Fan

Had one more question. What would be a fair price for this guitar according to you?

Pushead

I'd figure it should sell for around the same price as the MX-II models.

MX Fan

Yeah ok. To further deepen my knowledge of the MX-II, I have seen from different sites that the "standard set up" is mahogny neck and ebony fretboard. In this case, this one has maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Which one is better… or are there pros and cons? Furthermore is 5-6 grand the market price for used MX-models today? 

Pushead

Yeah, $5-6k USD new or used excellent shape. The "normal" MX-II would be mahogany body and neck with an ebony fretboard.

People pick maple necks (over mahogany) because they feel they're stronger and often say they make for a brighter tone. But then people pick rosewood boards (over ebony) because they sound warmer. Or they just like the look of the brown over the look of black. It all comes down to personal preference, ultimately. Without playing one of each, it's hard to say how different they actually sound, or if that even matters enough to worry.

Here's my MX-II if that helps you see the differences.

MX Fan

Thank you. Greatly appreciated!

Post to Thread