The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Andrew W.

Hello, I'm looking to get my first ESP and wanted to make sure I'm starting on the right foot. I'd greatly appreciate if you could verify this Standard series Eclipse.

Pushead

Looks good to me. A 2005 Eclipse II.

Andrew W.

Thanks so much, appreciate it!

Mickey M.

I am planning on selling my PRS to buy an ec1000 vintage black but after looking at the ec1000 on different websites I have suspicions about this one I found. What do you guys think? 

the truss rod cover, neck, and pickups have me kind of sketched. The guy said it was a 2010. Did the connect the necks like that back then? 

Pushead

There's nothing that immediately jumps out at me, but these photos all taken at an angle make it difficult to get a complete read on it. It's probably fine.

Large Marge

Hey there. I’m not sure if this guitar is legit. The owner made the pick guard and truss rod cover to match. It looks like a pre lawsuit ex200 but there is no serial number on the last fret or on the neck plate. It has the word “used” stamped on the back of the headstock and the 1998-1999 circuit hole. What do ya’ll think?

Pushead

It looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't be worried.

Large Marge

Thanks, what about the “used” stamp and lack of serial number?

Pushead

My old EXP 200 had it on the bottom of the fingerboard, past the 22nd fret. Some stores put a stamp on the back of used guitars when they sell them. It's a stupid practice, but it happens.

There's nothing about the guitar that jumps out at me, but if you're uncomfortable about it, you shouldn't buy it.

Large Marge

Thanks, I bought it and it’s great. Just needs a new input jack. I have to find a case that fits it too. Any suggestions?

Andreas R.

How about this one? Offered as a ESP M-II Custom (1992, 1993). No serial number on the back plate or on the back of the headstock, a "Floyd Rose II" tremolo and the locking nut is bolted on through the rear. EMG 81 and 85 look legit, though, and the machine pegs are stamped with "ESP" logo. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pushead

It's an early 90s Mirage Deluxe. I have one from 93 which came with a different bridge and a top mounted nut. I would guess that the bridge has been replaced at some point in it's life. The neck pickup looks like an 89, so it may have a push/pull pot somewhere to go into it's single-coil mode.

Mine does have a serial number on the back of the headstock as well as a numbered neck plate. The fact that it's missing on this guitar doesn't worry me. It may have been sold in the Japanese market.

Andreas R.

Thank you, that was very helpful!
Best Regards from Germany

Sardonic W.

Hi guys. Saw this at the local forum. Should I go for it?

Pushead

The guitar is legit, a 2009 model. Only you can decide whether or not to go for it.

Sardonic W.

Thank you very much. I was a bit afraid, because there's a lot of fakes around.

Jo M.

Hello, Is this a fake esp?
I want to buy it but i am afraid if it s not fake.

Post to Thread