The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Peter V.

Hi guys, I came upon a nice ESP Truckster today and I thought the guy was selling it pretty cheap (about USD 1550) so I am afraid it's a fake, but I am not sure so I got some pictures here. Can I ask your advice??

Pushead

It's legit. Looks like the pickup rings may have been replaced.

Peter V.

@Pushead: are you sure? I thought the serialnumber on the headstock looks a bit odd (like it's not completely in line) and if you look at picture 6 it seems as if there is just a bit too much paint chipped off in comparison to other Trucksters. Also the grain of the wood that comes through raised a bit of suspicion with me. And on the certificate the name of James Hetfield is a bit odd since the 'i' is so close to the 'e' and the letter D looks as if it is not complete. What do you think?

Pushead

It's a 15 year old guitar, so a bit of extra damage doesn't seem that odd to me. I'm comfortable enough that, if I was in the market for a Truckster, I'd buy it. If you're not comfortable, pass on it.

Jonathan G.

Hi, I will buy this ESP. Can tell me is fake or legit? Thanks 

Jonathan G.
Jonathan G. wrote:

Jonathan G.
Jonathan G. wrote:

Pushead

It's hard to tell from one pic. Something about it feels off to me, but it may just be that the pickup rings have been replaced and the screws don't fit well.

Evan L.

Evan L.

I'm wondering on both of these guitars... ESP KH2 ntb and ESP Horizon (Volcano Red) 

Pushead

Both are legit.

Jeffro "Attilla D" Hunt

Hi, guys! I have a conundrum in respect to a guitar I recently acquired, and I was hoping you could help me verify one or both of these axes? I brought pics.... I am looking for possible mfg. timeframes and of course, legitimacy. Can you help a fella out, please?? 

Pushead

I replied to your other thread, but sorry man, that's not even close. I hope you can get your money back.

Jeffro "Attilla D" Hunt

This may seem odd, but could you list the ways and the whys that this fails, please?? I might could use the proof details to get my cash back. PLUS, I bet I ain't the only one curious. And is it just the one fake, or is it the pair??

Pushead

Just the ESP, the LTD is fine.

*Takes a Ace Ventura style deep breath*

1) Headstock size it wrong (too big in length and width)

2) Serial number font (too large)

3) "Made in Japan" sticker isn't actually a sticker

4) Standard Series Circle logo is incorrect (wrong font and size)

5) "Tummy cut" incorrect shape

6) Body depth incorrect (too thick)

7) Neck heel incorrect shape.

8) Headstock front logo incorrect (script ESP logo on an Eclipse, and the logo is incorrect even for the ESP block logo)

9) Has the classic Edlipse logo on the headstock (also too big)

10) Truss rod cover is incorrect (easily replaced, but when combined with every other factor, it shows how little attention to detail the fakers have)

11) Inlay shape and size is wrong across the entire fingerboard, including the ESP logo at the 12th (too wide and tall)

12) Fingerboard on this model would be ebony.

13) Body shape is wrong (too wide, wrong contour of the cutaway)

14) Distance between the bridge and stop bar is wrong. (I also suspect the whole scale of the guitar is wrong with the huge space between the pickups.)

15) Position and distance between the control knobs is wrong

16) Control cavity shape is wrong

17) Battery cavity shape, position and cover is wrong

I'm sure if I had it in person, I could tell you more. This is the majority of what I picked up from the photos.

The day of redemption is at hand! Repent and be saved.

Pushead
DjentleDjevel wrote:

I have no idea what it is as the 12th fret Inlay says “B” and it has a single humbucker not the usual split P bass style pickup ‍♂️ Any help identifying this would be wonderful!

That bass is part of the beginner's pack, which was sold as the bass, amp, cable and some other goodies. Consider it the equivalent of a B-10 or whatever the entry-level bass was of the time. It's a 2011 model.

Post to Thread