The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Andreas E.

Thanks! Jeez

I'm spending more than three grands on this guitar unseen (anyone that has a second opionion?), And my gut says it's fake. I will travel, see the guitar and call him if there is anything wrong about it.  

Pushead

I've never seen a fake with the plastic ESP logo on it. Any fake I've seen has a sticker decal.

Jackson S.

Hey guys just wanted to check before i buy this discontinued Ltd Mv-300

cant be too careful ya’know

really appreciate the help!

Jackson S.

Pushead

Looks good to me.

Zann

Unusual black satin Eclipse w/ floyd rose. This thing legit? Thanks in advance.

Pushead

Looks good to me. A 2013 model.

Zann

Thanks was 99% sure. Case, gel, truss rod tool all there and as you’d expect. Floyd “made in Germany” where you’d expect to find it. Looks and plays great - a keeper.

Astor

Hey guys, any chance you could help with the possible year on this guitar??

I was told it’s an ESP 48th Street Guitar. This is one that has a square neck plate but no other markings are on the body. 

The previous owner (I’m guessing) bought the guitar for its neck, which sold for over $1k last year. I picked up the body for a good price and am just trying to get more info.

Here’s the neck that was originally on the guitar

Thanks in advance!

Pushead

Not a whole lot to go on, man. I've never seen that control layout on an ESP before, nor that control cavity, but I don't have tons of experience with the early days of the 48th St. shop.

At this point, with paint and the neck removed, does it really matter how old the body is, or who made it?

Astor

Haha yeah I know, man, just trying to get information on it.

From what I can tell, the controls were a mod (three mini switches instead of a single toggle) but the cavity was original. I don’t know much about the 48th street shop either but regardless (hopefully), it should be a cool project!

Jerry R.

Is this thread still active?

Jerry R.

wondering if this looks real or fake? Don't have much info on it

Jerry R.

Pushead

Fake. A rule of thumb: if the seller isn't asking at least $15k for an "eet fuk", it's a fake. If the seller is asking over $15k, then come ask about it.

Scott M.

Looking for someone to confirm the authenticity of this Custom Shop Japan HSS currently up for sale on Reverb. I I sent an inquiry to the customer support but figured I'd try here as well. Any help is appreciated. 

Seller included this in the item description:

The guitar does not include the original case or any COA. I reached out to ESP Customer Service when I acquired the guitar to see if they could provide any additional info. They said it was the genuine article, but admitted that their record keeping is somewhat lackluster and guessed it was built some time in the early 2000s and sold outside the US market.

Pushead

The guitar is legit. I've never seen a serial number stamped so large on the neck plate before.

I'd guess somewhere in the early to mid 90s. They didn't start using the circle logo on the back of the neck until around 1990, and only on guitars released outside the Japanese domestic market. By 2000-2001 they started using serial numbers on the back of the headstock.

Scott M.

Much appreciated!

Post to Thread