The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Dominic D.

What are you're guys thoughts here? 

Pushead

That's an interesting one. That's not the markings on the back of the head stock I'm used to seeing on an LTD. It looks more like what they used on the Japan made ESP guitars. It's the same thing with the nut.

Because of the inlay, I'm fairly confident that the guitar is legit, but it makes me wonder if this guitar was built in Japan instead of Korea. Perhaps as an example for a trade show?

Dominic D.

Yea, all I can tell is that if the serial number is legit then it's an 04 guitar which fits for these models I believe. 

I have a normal ltd F400 as well with the normal markings from Korea on it and I note the the body is a little more "defined" for lack of a batter word. It's more a peak along the top edge of the body rather that just a curve as seen here 

Dirk V.

Hey Guys, I’m about to buy this Fukkin’ cool ESP LTD KH-502, it is in pretty decent condition. The pickups are changed and the Backplate of the Floyd Rose has been removed but is included when I buy it. My concern is that it might be fake due to the price €250/$300 and because the seller keeps talking about that Cheaper guitars aren’t always bad... take a look at some of the pictures I made.

thanks for your help,

Dirk V

Pushead

The guitar is legit. It's hard to date the guitars with the 6 digit code, but it's somewhere in the 2000-2003 range.

Lordgix

Hey all, bought this guitar from my local Guitar Center used. Just wanted to throw it up to see if it was legit or if my impatient got the best of me. I have pulled the pickups and they do have a Seymore Duncan logo stamped into the underside of the pickup.

Pushead

Yep, it's legit. A 2012 model.

Lordgix

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation.

Ovi O.

hi all. new here. I am thinking of getting this guitar. the owner pretend is a 90's model but i want to make sure. can anybody confirm? thanks in advance www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/campbelltown/guitars-amps/esp-japan-original-series-reindeer/1200926669

Pushead

It is the correct shape and the original headstock shape (that I'm aware of) for a reindeer.  The hard carves on the body top and the dash fret markers on the side of the neck make me think it's probably made in the Technical House custom shop for ESP.  I couldn't find a "traditional" control layout for a reindeer, but with that mish-mosh of holes, I suspect it was a customer order (again points to Technical House). I wish there was a serial number to look at, but the logos and shapes all look good.

The price looks suspect to me, but maybe the guy has been sitting on it for a while. But I'd be wary. Why wouldn't he have posted on Reverb or eBay?

Ovi O.

Yeah, I know...You're right! I just let it go and I went for a ESP LTD EC-1000 Eclipse  Limited Edition KOA ! Thanks for heads up! cheers

Azriel Lee

Hey guys,

I’m concerned about this KH-2 due to the photos mostly. Also the pickups are EMG 81 and 60. Doesn’t the official kh2 have some special bone breaker pickups or something?

Thanks for any help provided!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303002622833

tomasz m.

U can always ask for better pics mailed thru ebay, especially the serial number. Contact the seller if u aren't sure. There is no point just sitting and watching it for days. And ask for some discount :-)

Pushead

Based on terrible photos and a wishful listing price, it's not difficult to see why it didn't sell.

With the potato photos the seller included, it's tough to get good evidence that it's legit, but based on what I can see, everything looks fine. Over the years, a KH-2 has had EMG 81/81 through around 2012 or so then changed to EMG 81/60 and only in 2018 changed to the Bonebreaker set. This pair may be stock, or may have swapped the neck from an 81 to a 60 at some point. It's pretty easy to do with the EMGs.

kedey

Hi guys, need your help to check whether its legit or not. SN: W13060573 Its LTD EC401 VB. Is it legit? they made ec-401 vb in Korean factory? Thanks!

https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2019/01/08/ltd_ec_401_1546923153_539b6e63.jpg

https://media.karousell.com/media/photos/products/2019/01/08/ltd_ec_401_1546923153_c68cf7fe.jpg

Pushead

The guitar is legit. It's a 2013 model. The tuners have been replaced.

Post to Thread