The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

Yep. Late 2017 model.

Laurent C.

Great, many thanks !  

Pushead

It's legit. 2012 model.

rodrigomolina

hi, I have this viper ESP I bought second-handed. The serial number is 24973 and it says “ Made in Japan” on it’s headstock. I’m posting some pictures of it. Is it original?

Pushead

It's a legit late 1990s Viper Standard. Here's a link to the 1998 catalog for more details.

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_files/esp/downloads/000/000/080/ESP-1998-Catalog.pdf?1392144585

rodrigomolina

Thank you for the quick reponse. I'm glad you say it's legit. I still have a question about it, though: according to the 1998 catalog I see that they used to sell it with ESP LH-200 humbuckers on it but mine has a EMGs on it. Do you know if they manufactured with these humbuckers at some point?

Edited: I just noticed the catalog says "USA Custom" and it's written "made in japan" in my guitar. :/

Pushead

Your guitar would be on page 6, ESP Standard Models, which are all made in Japan. I don't know if it ever came stock with EMG pickups, but pickups are easily changed. I suspect a previous owner changed them.

rodrigomolina

Thank you, man. You were really helpfull. All the best to you.

Squidward

Hi, can anyone tell me if this guitar is legit? The serial number is throwing me off, I can't find a lot about EX-250s other than late 90s and it doesn't seem like they used the E serial number then? And the not so great full length pics and interesting cropping of the close ups isn't making me confident either. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

Miguel R.

It's legit. Some one told me that the guitar is a prototipe that ESP have in diferent colors 

Pushead

It's legit. 2000-2003 model. I'm not sure which Korean factory had the E designation, but it was definitely before they started using E as the prefix for all of the Custom Shop produced ESP models in 2013.

Squidward

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I was using this guide: http://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html and 'E' wasn't one of the options in the 2000-2015 serial numbers, but it did have 'E' was the ESP designation for 2016. 

At the same time, it also seemed weird they would even have counterfeits for the ex-250 lol. What do you think about the guitar, is it decent? I'm surprised at how little there is on the internet about this model. 

Pushead

His list is only for the ESP branded instruments, not LTD. I've run across E designations from Korea before, but I'm not sure which factory that means. More commonly you'll run across W (World Musical Instruments) or U (Usung), but that doesn't make it any less legit.

The guitar itself should be pretty nice, the hardware and electronics are a bit shabby. I had an MH-301 from around the same period that was a fantastic guitar after I swapped the pickups. Later, I swapped the LFR for an Original, but that was only because the edges of the LFR had gone beyond fixing.

Siddhant P.

Hello There,

I bought  an ESP LTD EX-50 from a guy i know recently. Wanted to make sure if its authentic or not.

Oh and yes please note the stock EX-50 come with regular pickups, while the guy whom I bought it from installed Zack Wylde set (EMG 81, 85). So please avoid questioning the pickups.

Also Mine says it was created in Indonesia. Does anyone know what is the significance of IR at the start of the serial number? I couldn't find any information about this series  (IR) on the internet. Please see the attached pictures. Any help appreciated!!

Thanks!

Siddhant Patil

Pushead

It's legit. 2006 model.

cnstnt

esp mh-350nt serial -  IW 14111383

is it legit, as far as i understand the first two numbers is the year, next two is week, next two is day and last two is number off the line. if so, idk how 13 could relate to the day of the week, thats whats throwing me off

Pushead

1 could be the day, 38 could be the number off the line, 3 could be which shift at the factory. (Gibson has been adding shift to their serial number format as well.)

JAKK Nylander

Please, i need to know:
This is a legitimate korean guitar esp m 2... ... serial: W 0511232 Korea.
Sorry for my bad English, thanks!

Pushead

Well, no ESP branded guitar was made in Korea, so that's already a knock against it.

So here's what I see. The logo on the head stock is a fake. The truss rod cover is a random one the previous owner had. It likely replaced the "by ESP" cover found on LTDs from that era.The serial number points to it being an LTD from 2005, and it appears to be the correct font (as opposed to the fakes that are out there.) Here's where I'm a bit unsure: In 97 there was an LTD M-II model. The catalogs on the website shows it without the M-II on the head stock, but I'm almost positive I've seen one with it. In 98, there was the LTD M-200 model, which seems closer to what you have here.

In either case, the pickups aren't real EMGs (or at best, not from this era.) You can tell by the over-sized route that the Floyd Rose II bridge replaced the LFR that was in the guitar. The Floyd Rose II wouldn't have been in an ESP model. There isn't a good photo of the back, but it appears that the control cover on the back is isn't ESP shaped. To me, it looks like the rounded shape found on Chinese-made fakes.

Sorry man, it's certainly not legit. It's difficult to tell whether it's just a rebranded LTD, or an LTD neck on a fake body. It could be a total fake, but the serial number on the back seems too good to be a fake. The previous owner at least tried to put ESP hardware on the guitar (even the 12th fret inlay!), so it has that going for it. If you have the opportunity to return it, I certainly would.

JAKK Nylander

Tanks my friend.

Post to Thread