The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

Pushead

RZK and I will also take possession of any actual ESPs, that you don't want anymore, for a minimal fee.

Axel V.

Hi,

I'm interested in buying this guitar. What do you guys think, is it legit ?

Pushead

Yes, mid to late 90s Horizon.

RZK

Yes, it is genuine, and thank you for using my thread. 

Buy it. Those '90s ESPs are the best, IMO.

Axel V.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the experties :-)

//Axel

Barrie  B.

I have a LTD MH 301 that I think may be fake

Says made in Korea but the Serial # starts with E

Dont Korean LTD start with W?

The sperzel locking tuners are legit as are the EMG 89's 

The bridge says under licesence from Floyd Rose 

RZK

That headstock is definitely wonky. I'd say your suspicions are correct.

From what I can see, someone replaced the tuners. That's why that isn't a good way to tell.

Pushead

I'd say it's legit.  This is my MH-301 from the early 2000s.  The headstocks were all a bit larger on the LTDs for whatever reason.  The Sperzels and EMGs were after market.  The stock bridge (on mine) was pretty garbage.  (So were the EMG HZ pickups that were in it.)

Barrie  B.

Thanks for letting me know

RZK

Thanks Pushead.

Drak S.

Can you help me? What do you thing about this guitar esp ltd mh301 is fake?

Pushead

We'd need photos or a link or something.

John E.

Hello gentleman, I am trying to validate an ESP EX-50 diamond plated explorer that has no serial numbers on the back of the headstock, or the bolt on neck plate. A guy that lives close to me thinks it is fake, and he's trying to get rid of it. If I can send pictures via email, would help? Anything would be greatly appreciated. 

John E.

Pushead

Well...

I suspect it was a legit EX-50.  I don't recall an EX-50 coming with a diamond plate as standard, and the 351 (or whatever) had a different style plate.

My best guess (from the small photos) is that it was refinished, and had a third control (another volume?) and the diamond plate added.  Since he painted over the logo and serial number, he bought pretty bad logos off ebay and attached them to the guitar.

The hardware, electronics, neck plate and covers all look legit (again small photos), as does the inlay on the fretboard.

I hope he didn't pay much for it.  Even with "custom" work done, it shouldn't be above $200.  Maybe a touch more with a case.  But depending on how it looks up close, I'd probably stick in the low to mid $100s.

John E.

I appreciate the help sir. He said he only has $125 in the guitar, and it caught my eye. So it's a legit guitar that's been refinished? I don't understand how the serial numbers could be covered up like that and why someone would change the guitar completely? He also mentioned that the front ESP logo on the headstock was actually inflated into the wood, so it is real. But would it be worth picking up? 

Pushead

I assume the guitar has been painted.  The ESP logo etched into the wood?  Any chance you can get a better photo of the logos?

Post to Thread