How to spot fake ESP

Updated
How to spot fake ESP

Hey guys,

Do you have any knowledge regarding fake guitars and how to spot them?

Maybe guitar companies should start a database where we could register original guitars and verify their authenticity. I understand that, I his is extra cost but we have to somehow protect ourselves from not honest seller, specially when we buy used instruments.

Pushead

It's legit. It likely had the truss rod cover replaced.

Jordsmonn

Hello.

I am wondering on bidding on a ESP MX-II from 2007. It comes with a esp gig bag. Is this authentic?

Seller bought it in Japan.

Pushead

It's legit. My 03 came with a gig bag as well. A pretty nice, shaped, padded and branded gig bag. It's more common to see a guitar made for the Japanese domestic market in a gig bag than a hard case.

Jordsmonn

Ok, thanks  the gig bag is just a typical square esp, not custom fit but i guess thats not the most important either. He also has the warranty card  which is in Japanese, but no stamp from the store on it.

Just had to check as its not common that these come for sale where i live.

sy t.

hi guys.  says it is a 2004 ESP eclipse CTM.  does it look genuine?

David C.

Real or fake can’t find any info on it it says ex102

Pushead

Hard to say from just one photo, but there's nothing that jumps out at me as fake.

The Eclipse above is legit.

Bdog  C.

Hello! Just looking for some help about this being a fake or not and any more info about it either way. I can’t find a serial number. Here’s what I can tell about this guitar: Duncan Distortion pickups (not original), Bell shape truss rod cover, Gotoh locking tuners, “ESP Custom” on front of headstock, “ESP standard series” on back of headstock, set neck with no step. Thanks for any help!

iFardani

Hi, guys need your help to identify my LTD MH100QMNT whether it is a counterfeit LTD or not. I noticed that the black colored headstock on the MH100QMNT is from the older 2005 model (newer MH100QMNT has a matching to body finish), however the one I have here has a chrome hardware (not black), and the hole placement for the string thru body is different from what I saw on the 2005+ catalogue. Neckplate and tuners have ESP logo, ESP branded pickups, but no serial number on the back of the headstock. I bought it in a local used market for IDR 1,300,000 (USD. 95). Thank you for your help....

Pushead

The MX in the previous post is fake (though I think I responded to a different thread about the guitar.)

The neck on the MH is legit, but it looks like it was attached to a Schecter body. In terms of quality, there is probably no difference, the factories that make the LTD guitars also make Schecter and a half dozen of other brands as well.

Leanne P.

Hi I’m looking at buying this ESP LTD EC-1000 DELUXE in Vintage Black and was wondering if someone could tell me if it’s real or fake please? 

Leanne P.

Pushead

It's hard to tell from one photo, but there's nothing that immediately jumps out at me.

Leanne P.

Stu E Skinner

Hey peeps.

I've recently picked up an ESP Eclipse (Distressed Honey Burst) second hand and I have a nagging doubt about its authenticity.

It probably is legit as It looks the part to my eye and plays well but the acoustic tone is not quite what I was expecting. It sounds thinner than my other ESP's.

Any thought welcome.

Thanks

Stu

ANTON I.

Hi, guys. I have found some m-ii camo for cheap. The seller seems to be good or (it's a hacked account), but guitar looks fake. Spaces between serial digits are uneven. Case and pickups are not original. 

ANTON I.

Also, I've found this guitar pushed on a local forum 10 years ago. Pickups are Dimarzios. D-Sonic+Evo

Pushead

The distressed Eclipse above is legit. The MII above seems fine, but I'd want slightly better photos of the rest of the guitar.

ANTON I.

unfortunately, this m-ii was sold for $570 in my country (Russia). I couldn't find any of these with such spacings in serial.

Post to Thread