best oil to use ?

Updated
tungusgrump
i have a guitar body that i want to finish but not paint. what would be the best oil to use ? i want something to protect the wood. gunstock oil lem oil mineral oil or any other suggestions you may have any help is greatly appreciated
jet66

Danish oil is a nice way to go, it's pretty durable vs. a 'true' oil finish. Oil finishes have to be kept up with quite a bit more, as they can dry out. Danish oil is a mix of varnish and oil, the varnish part makes it tougher. Gunstock oil lasts decently as long as you use the appropriate wax with it, too. It can still get dirty with a lot of handling, like on a neck, and needs to be redone from time to time. (Unless you like the worn/dirty look it can get.)

JSHRED

I guess I would consider tung oil. I routinely use bore oil (like for woodwinds) to service rosewood fingerboards, but I don't know if that would really penetrate and protect a body the way tung oil might.
That Danish oil approach sounds pretty good too. +1

tungusgrump

thanks for the suggestions

Armitage

I've used Gunstock oil and been very happy. It's very easy to apply, and re-apply. Just make sure you do a few coats.

Pushead666

Hi, can I use a lemon oil on ebony fretboard?

Gisornator

As far as I know, you shouldn't use it on Maple fretboards. Ebony and Rosewood work well with lemon oil. But be aware that it takes some time before Ebony soaked the oil. Just wait a couple of minutes before you whipe it off.

Screwed-up-head

try tru oil....it worked out well for me :)

Daron S.

I prefer using the gunstock oil as well

Post to Thread