Floyd Rose Problem

Updated
Tom.Ashworth
Hi, I am trying to set up an old KH-2 properly to see wether it just had a bad setup or a previous headstock break causing tuning issues , bad tone etc. after getting the floyd pretty much perfect + intonation I noticed that the floyd unit is actually touching the paint infront of it. So much so it's taken paint off :\ the unit itself is perfectly level so I don't see the problem. The action is (for me) perfect with 0.5mm low e and 0.3 mm high e. I will upload a photo of the damage which has played a fairly dismal effect tomorrow. Any idea what is wrong?
Sixstringhotshot

Floyd Rose? There's your problem right there. :p

I don't understand how what you describe is possible with a recessed bridge. When you say the front is hitting the paint, you mean the side of the trem nearest the pickups, correct? The only way this occurs is if your trem is so low that when you drop the bar the bridge rotates into the paint. I've seen this on non-recessed bridges set too low to the body, but never on a recessed bridge.

Tom.Ashworth

I mean that it almost seems the pivots that the floyd fits onto are like they are too close to the front of the recess. It is certainly a strange defect if it is as I have never heard of another ESP like it. The bridge isn't really to low. Probably a little higher than what you would expect ona floyd. But I can agree they are troublesome. My les pauls just down tune and that's it. Ask a floyd to do that and frankly you are screwed.

Tom.Ashworth

update:
The floyd rose was high and seemingly this has made the surface area of the threads holding it in lower in relation to contact with the wood. When the guitar has been tuned the strings have overpowered this and dragged the bridge forwards into the paint leaving a minor cut into the paint. Due to having no real time or expertise to fix this I will sell it to anyone up for a D.I.Y project. Check the spam thread if you think you would be willing to fix it.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Sounds like a faulty install, more that just a "Floyd" problem.

Tom.Ashworth

Maybe. My local tech looked at it said that the bridge had been to "high" which I highly doubt but said it had meant less surface area of the screw was in the wood. This meant the strings where forcing it forwards hence colliding with the paint. The only way to get it properly fixed is to dowel the holes but this will involve drilling. Hence I am selling the guitar as a project. Fortunately the person who seemingly wants to buy the body wants it as a painting project so these holes once filled will be un noticeable.

JSHRED

If you end up parting that out, I'd be interested in that neck.
Cheers
J

jet66

Is it the older style Floyd where there bridge pivots are screws that go directly in to the wood, vs. machined bolts that go in to threaded studs set in the body? If so, that's not a totally uncommon problem whether or not the bridge was 'too high' even. Doweling out and getting a 'modern' stud+bolt kit is recommended vs. doweling and reusing the screw-type pivots.

Tom.Ashworth

Is it the older style Floyd where there bridge pivots are screws that go directly in to the wood, vs. machined bolts that go in to threaded studs set in the body? If so, that's not a totally uncommon problem whether or not the bridge was 'too high' even. Doweling out and getting a 'modern' stud+bolt kit is recommended vs. doweling and reusing the screw-type pivots.

That is likely to be it. It is wood, not studs. Do modern ESP KH's still use wood? or have they gone to modern studs? And in its current state the guitar probably isnt fit to be parted out as i don't want to rip anyone off and selling a body with a dodgy floyd mounting would seem wrong. When fixed you will be the first to know JSHRED

JSHRED

Well, let me know either way. If you give up, I could take a stab at it. I enjoy a good fixer-upper. :)

Tom.Ashworth

K. When my moral eventually collapses and the sight of a new guitar corrupts me I will let you know :)

Post to Thread