Moving my vol. to tone pos.

Updated
Moving my vol. to tone pos.
So I'm tired of the vol. always feeling like it's in the way and decided to move it to the tone position, what do you do with the tone? If you un-solder it does the tone of the guitar become neutral? So how do I remove it but have the full treble tone? I've been playin' for 20 yrs and I never did this before.:o I'm thinking you solder the wire from the tone to the vol. pot or something?!?:confused: Thanks
mihnea

I'd think you just cut the wire from the volume to the tone pot, as well as the ground to the tone pot and that's it :)

JonCurcio

So how do I remove it but have the full treble tone?

Removing it gives you the full treble tone.

Murdoc

I'd think you just cut the wire from the volume to the tone pot, as well as the ground to the tone pot and that's it :)
There is no ground, they're EMG's.

Removing it gives you the full treble tone.
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear! So without a tone in the wiring at all the "default" is like having the tone all the way up. Thanks br0:cool:

load more replies (1 of 1)
mihnea

Good job man!

Murdoc

Thanks dude! Idk if it's worth doing the 27volt mod though. I don't hear the difference. I had enough room for 3 batteries so I just said "fuck it" and did it. I wonder if they'll last 3 times as long versus running at 9v?

HateEvent

Do you have a picture of the inside of the control cavity? I'm curious to see the space, although I guess with the removal of the other pot you freed up quite a bit :)

Murdoc

Do you have a picture of the inside of the control cavity? I'm curious to see the space, although I guess with the removal of the other pot you freed up quite a bit :)

I know I should have taken some pics of my work, I'll open it up and snap a few tomorrow.

load more replies (1 of 1)
deus ex machina

No, they don't last 3 times as much. Not if you're running the 3 batteries in series, which you'd have to if you're indeed truly getting 27V out of the circuit. If you run them in parallel, you'd still be getting 9V out of the 3 batteries, but then you'd have triple the life of a single battery.

There's supposedly not that much difference in tone between running the EMG's at 27 or 18V (according to EMG themselves), so I've not really tried it myself. However, I do hear a difference between 18 and 9V, personally.

And yeah, tone pots=unnecessary. :)

Murdoc

^ Cool, yeah I'm definitely running in series (black to red) on the wiring. I guess the sound is a little more "open". IDK?

Post to Thread