LTD EC 1000 neck help

Updated
sprigs
Hi the EC 1000 I have didn't have its truss rod adjusted, it was loose and poking out of the truss rod cavity, I pushed it back in and gave it a few turns so that it was tightened up. Should the neck be flat, bowed or back bowed? I also have fret buzz on the low E and A string on the first 3 frets, every other string is fine open or fretted. Should I raise the bridge or adjust the truss rod?
Gazmonster

Just Google it there is loads of info out there, Its easier to look at the diagrams than try to explain it :)

Beto

Considering that you've got a reasonably good guitar, that it probably cost a considerable amount of money, and that you seem to have no idea about how the truss rod works, I strongly recommend that you take your instrument to a guitar tech until you learn more about it. At least until you learn what not to do while trying to adjust it.

sprigs

hmm problem is I don't want to spend any more money on the guitar (was quoted $150 for a setup and new strings though I have to send it off to a shop so I won't be able to see how they do it).

Beto

hmm problem is I don't want to spend any more money on the guitar (was quoted $150 for a setup and new strings though I have to send it off to a shop so I won't be able to see how they do it).

At least take a look at ESP owner's manual available for download. However, I never felt confident to try any adjustments based only on it. I believe that you can find lots of written material online, as well as some videos.

According to some books (e.g. Dan Erlewine's), if you tighten or loosen the truss rod too much you can cause severe damage to your guitar. But if you are really going to do it by yourself, do it on small increments (like 1/8 to 1/4 turn each time), tune the guitar if necessary and check the result. Also, some recommend that you should put some pressure against the headstock (as you were trying to backbow the neck with your hand) while tightening the truss rod (same reference here).

load more replies (1 of 1)
Michael W.

$150 for a setup and strings seems rather high, especially for a fixed bridge guitar. Usually around $35-$50 for a decent setup near me.

Gazmonster

I set my guitars up with a very slight bow. tune up, hold down the top string on the first fret and the highest fret (use a capo if it helps) check the distance from the string to the top of the fret at the 7th fret, you should be aiming for about 1mm clearance. Thats how I set up anyway

Velt017

loose and poking out? That doesn't sound right.

If you're close to Pittsburgh I'll do the setup for $20

sprigs

Wow those setup costs seem more reasonable, but unfortunately I live in Australia :(

Yeh it was poking out of the cavity, I had to push it back in and give it a turn so that it was in a tightened position , I imported the guitar, the trip from the U.S to my doorstep probably affected the neck.

well I decided to have a go at adjusting it, seeing that my low E and A strings had fret buzz (when fretted) I adjusted it to give it some bow. I gave it a 1/4 turn 5-6 times (from a non tightened position). The severity of fret buzz reduced but its still there. I noticed that It was harder for me to bend strings also the action was higher as well.

Post to Thread