Why is my G string buzzing?

Updated
Rydock
The G string on my ESP Forest GT has buzzes when played open or when fretted from 1st to the 12th fret. The buzz doesn't sustain. It kind of just happens right when you hit the string, then goes away after about half a second and rings out the proper note afterward. It only happens on the G and not on any of the other strings. Has anybody else heard of this problem or one similar? The strings aren't old yet, the guitar is set up pretty well (perfect intonation, truss rod, action, etc). The string has pretty good clearance from the frets too, so I don't really get why it's buzzing. It's really annoying and I'd like to get it fixed.
Geetarguy70

Man I am going to leave this one alone lol It it pretty common and try the neck pick up and it should deaden it quick and then have it pro set up

Rydock

Man I am going to leave this one alone lol It it pretty common and try the neck pick up and it should deaden it quick and then have it pro set up

Holy run-on sentence...I actually got a headache reading that. What does the neck pickup have to do with anything?

Geetarguy70

I apologize dudeness, I replied quick from a text message so forgive me. Example, when I play the song One, and hit that open G, if I had my bridge pick up selected, it would ring quite a bit and that pick up will amplify that vibration in all its glory. The neck pick up removes the high end (EMG 60) so even if it does ring, it's not picked up through my amp. That string vibrates and rings on all of my guitars and if I am using it like in the example by itself, I use the neck pick up which in turn deadens the ring. If that doesn't work, have it set up and if that doesn't work play bass :)

Murdoc

If your g-string buzzes try a thong. :p

load more replies (2 of 2)
cullenszoo

Sounds like standard fret buzz. try adjusting the height at the bridge very slightly. is this a locking nut?

ozzuk1

afaik the forest GT is equipped with an ofr a german one not the frt-100 or another cheaper version, I have had similar issues with schaller FR's and an Ibanez Edge it's the springs... the g string is harmonizing or vibrating at the same frequency as the springs causing an annoying buzz if this happens when your plugged in then its another issue, get some heavy duty springs or the noiseless type or dampen them like Vai does will solve the issue..

Post to Thread