Installing a Dimarzio X2N in my LTD

Updated
Justinschut
So, I've never really experimented much with different pickups.. I have active EMG's in my gigging/recording guitars and the EMG HZ's in my LTD (which I play at home and is therefor my most used guitar) have served me well for noodling 'round the house. Now the other day I was at a music shop and got a great deal on a used Dimarzio X2N and I figured it had to at least be better than the HZ's right :p So I got some questions, first off.. What are the opinions on the X2N ? It's going in my LTD H301, which is a maple neckthrough with mahogany wings. Also, will the X2N be way louder than the HZ in the neckposition ? And finally, how to install the damn thing :p The X2N's got a black, red, green, white and some bare wire coming out of it and the guitar has a 5 way switch and the HZ in the neck will stay installed. I've never changed a pickup myself and haven't soldered in many years, but a friend of mine who solders frequently offered to do it for me, altho he also hasn't done pickups. As far as size/measurements go, it should just fit right in there right ?
cecilbag

I have tried the x2n and didn't care for it but I would like it over the hz. I would think it will be louder. When I tried one it was super hot, I just thought it was to treble/piercing. The wiring code should be on the dimarzio website. Good luck

Metaldude

go on Di Marzio's website , they have all wiring diagrams right there . Also they have all kinda options , including your 5 way switch etc .

I put a Di Marzio in my guitar a few days ago and it's as simple as with any other pick up .
black -> hot
red & white -> soldered together
bare & green -> soldered to ground

I think that was the way I installed it . normally u get an manual when buying a pick up , if u don't have maybe u could go to your dealer and he can help u out .

but I think u should be fine with the wiring diagrams on their website

WildeStarr

Never been crazy about the x2n. DiMarzio makes some great pickups, but I don't think thats one of them.

:cool:

Justinschut

Hmm, kinda doubting if I should go through the trouble of install it them.. I like the HZ's fine for jamming at home.

I went to the Dimarzio site for the wire diagrams and filled out some info about the guitar and got a list of like 20 possible wirings :p

Metaldude

Hmm, kinda doubting if I should go through the trouble of install it them.. I like the HZ's fine for jamming at home.

I went to the Dimarzio site for the wire diagrams and filled out some info about the guitar and got a list of like 20 possible wirings :p

well it's up to u , but I really wouldn't call it "trouble" . installing a pickup is easier than it sounds right now . first I wanted it to be installed for me too cause I was afraid I'd do something wrong or imprecise . however , buying solder and soldering iron still didn't cost me as much as some guitartec putting it in .

actually there should be a diagram for every way of tone or volume poti , however ....

don't be a cunt , do it !! :p

Justinschut

yeah but it would suck if it'd sound nasty and harsh in a maple neckthrough

Metaldude

well I don't know how the X2N sounds , I have good experience with Di Marzio though .

JonCurcio

It will sound very balanced in the H-301 believe it or not, although you might not care for the fact that it's so high output. It tends to pick up every little thump, squeak and tap on the guitar, so a noise gate might be helpful if those things annoy you.

Sixstringhotshot

You say you have EMG HZs in it now? ANYTHING you swap in will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Justinschut

I don't think HZ's are that bad actually. I don't gig with them but they're better than stuff like Duncan Designed or pickups that come standard with a lot of Jacksons, BC Riches, Ibanez (INF) etc

Metaldude

I think u should give it a try , if the X2N sucks just go back to your friend and tell him to put the HZ in again :D

ozzuk1

Also remember to keep it lower than a typical pickup as they are rediculously powerful, many get the same issue with the duncan invader and dont like how they sound a little tweaking usually solves any muddiness...

I dont think you would hate it in that guitar plenty of people use them in alder/maple guitars...

If you dont want it though! sell it to me!

Justinschut

How much ? :p I think I might try it tho, altho it might blow away the HZ in the neck position

ozzuk1

It may blow the neck pickup away but you can always opt for a paf pro/liquifire or something down the line...

I'd give you a fair price for it though but try it first...

Velt017

I don't mind the X2N. I'm not a huge DiMarzio fan though, they all kind of sound a little compressed and trebly to me compared to what I feel like a passive pickup should sound like.

Justinschut

Haven't experimented with pickups much, but I recall liking the PAF PRO's in the PGM.

If I put it in the guitar, I'll probably leave it there either way unless it sounds really bad and much worse than the HZ but I doubt that :p

Post to Thread