Replacing My Fretboard.. Bad Idea?

Updated
Replacing My Fretboard.. Bad Idea?
I want to replace the rosewood fretboard on my Edwards Explorer with an ebony one. I know it will cost a handfull. Is it a bad idea? It will also let me change the inlays, and the frets. The guitar has been painted already and I'm not worried about hurting the paint. Would like it to look more like an MX-II. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
exhibit-sbt

Its usually a bad idea to replace intricate parts such as that, expensive as well. I'd put that money towards another guitar instead of blowing it on one that is perfectly functional as it sits.

nwright

get some fretboard dye to make it darker.

Vazman2

I've looked at fretboard dyes and unfortunately nothing seems to be available in Canada.

nwright

Can't order from Stew Mac?

Vazman2

Can't order from Stew Mac?

I checked. They won't ship to Canada.

Grindting

i wouldn't bother

thats a huge investment on what isnt an investment worthy guitar IMO

Justinschut

you need metal dye if you want your frets blacked out too

Metfuk

Yeah, if you accidently touch the frets, you will be able to wipe it off, even after a while. The dye will suck into the wood a bit, so that's why you don't have to be worried about wiping it off the fretboard again. Should be the same story when it comes to the dot inlays.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Metallijosh

Just use a sharpie.

Pushead

I hope you like black fingertips.

LordCliffton

Hey, I know that guy...

Vazman2

Just finished the fretboard dying. I think it came out pretty good.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also is it possible to put laquer on the fretboard to make it smoother? Is that a bad idea? Thanks.

load more replies (1 of 1)
andrei

great job man, congrats!

also congrats on choosing this solution, rather than messing with the board ;)

Vazman2

great job man, congrats!

also congrats on choosing this solution, rather than messing with the board ;)

Thanks man!

Velt017

Yeah, lacquer would be a mistake on died rosewood. I don' think it would be messy necessarily, but I don't think the results will look good at all. That looks really good the way it is.

Vazman2

Ok thanks for advice. I'll leave it alone.

Post to Thread