Tremolo bar with 10-46s

Updated
MasterOfPuppies
hello, is it dangerous for the guitar headstock-neck to use the tremolo bar with a set of 10/46 strings in standard tuning? i regularly use them from many years on my KH2 but somethines i fear using the tremolo bar thinking to brake the headstock...
jet66

You are safe, it would take a lot more tension than that to risk damaging the neck. A lot of guitars with locking trems come from the factory with 10's.

MasterOfPuppies

:P i hope that ;) you know i'm afraid doing like Kirk on the outro of "for whom the bell tolls" and so on...
thanx!

Kannon

lolwut.

:rollin

TonyFlyingSquirrel

I've used them for nearly 15 years on one guitar alone.

As long as it is set up for it, it's fine.

MasterOfPuppies

thanx

yes it's set up perfectly ;)

MasterOfPuppies

what about using 4 springs on the cavity instead of 3 always on std tuning?
can this create too much tension or stress especially on the 2 pivots inside the cavity?
sometimes i'm afraid to strip out the wood where the pivots are fitted inside the body of the guitar....

muziqman

adding more springs increases the tension on the trem block and makes it harder to push the trem arm down.

Justinschut

stop worrying, just play your guitar. Worst thing that can happen is you break a string if you go nuts on your trem

MasterOfPuppies

adding more springs increases the tension on the trem block and makes it harder to push the trem arm down.

yes i noticed that. i got a better stability, especially on unison bends ( first reason i add a 4th spring ) but the tremolo is way harder to move with the bar.

stop worrying, just play your guitar. Worst thing that can happen is you break a string if you go nuts on your trem

yes maybe you are correct :P sometimes i have some dumb nightmares in my head

btw i want to get back to 9/42 again - and 3 springs. let's see how i feel them.
i'm using 10-46 for some years now... i want to change a little ;)

brandono61cr

i had 13's one my axe at one time (hated the feel), no problem with the floyd but my arm got a workout .

Guitarslingerans

It's called a truss rod.

RZfreak

i had 11-54s in standard on my strat.. no issues.. :p

load more replies (1 of 1)
brandono61cr

i have 11's now and i use just 3

SpicyPickles

I use 11-54 in e flat with 5 springs on my RZK. I think you'll be fine.

load more replies (1 of 1)
mrclean77

5 springs w/my Ibanez Edge - 11-49s in E

I wound up w/5 springs b/c I needed them to balance out the tension of the springs and still be able to set up the trem even w/the body

the feel makes it more similar to a hardtail/fixed bridge guitar - I dig it

Velt017

Strings and springs will break way way way before you break the neck.

The only way you are going to break the neck is if you drop the guitar headstock first.

MasterOfPuppies

ok ok and what about using 10/56 in E std?

i'm waiting to install a set of DR Alexi Laiho 10/56 to tune in drop C and D.
what if i tune to E std with those strings? aren't they too thick to tune them in E ?

Murdoc

As long as there is enough relief on your neck, you should have enough "room" for strings that thick. I don't see any other problems with them as far as using the whammy bar.

Mr.Dahl

nothing's gonna happen dude... I use 10-46 in drop C. No Problems at all.

MasterOfPuppies

only 10/46 in drop C? how do you feel the guitar?

since i'm on the COB time :) that's the tuning i have in my guitar now ;) but it buzzes a lot...
that's why i 'd put a set of 10/56 or similar to play so low

Grindting

10-46 are the 'standard' set. they are the ideal string set for E standard tuning. you will not have any issues

if you had any issues they would not be down to your string gauge choice believe me

MasterOfPuppies

i agree. i've been using 10/46 from years now, never had a probem.
with drop tunings / donwntunings it is better to go with thick strings in fact i have to try 10 / 56 ;)

using 10/46 in drop C, there is buzz on the first frets, and it is normal to have it... unless you set your guitar perfect for the drop tunings ( minimum truss rod force and so on ).

after the drop C tuning moment ;) i'll get back to E std or Eb.

Post to Thread