Guitar will not stay in tune...

Updated
Urfaust
My mh-1000 goes flat as soon as I bend a string. I changed the strings a few weeks ago (which fixed the problem) and now it is happening again. I use 9's, by the way. I feel like the problem must be the earvana and I'm tempted to toss on another nut. I have tried putting graphite on it, but it had no effect. Should I try 10's? or should I just get a new nut?
Tsmith541

That is kinda strange, that's what usually happens with kahler tremolo systems...

MV-CTM

try rubbing some pencil in the nut and bridge slots

Urfaust

I don't get why it worked fine when I changed the strings. I am assuming that there is no way that the string is slipping in the locking tuners. I made sure that they were on pretty tight.

Urfaust

try rubbing some pencil in the nut and bridge slots

I tried that

GuitarmanST

so this is a string thru tail?
Like was stated Kahler is horrid with this, But just do a dive and your right back in tune...
Floyds are perfect with this .. The issue is non-existent.

1-make sure the strings are pre stretched... If your in a colder climate ( like me) hell, lately i try to keep my guitars as warm as possible and wrap a polish cloth around the tuning pegs to give them a little more protection from the temperature. If you have cold tuners.. Yah... your in a bad place if your playing a gig, so in the winter I will never let my guitars sit out in the open when there not in use.

Let us know how it goes...

Urfaust

Yeah, it's a string through body guitar. I bought it because I hate floating tremelos, last year.

I have a Jackson RR1 and I couldn't stand adjusting the spring tension, so I blocked it completely. I prefer fixed bridges for that reason.

None of my other guitars are having the issue and the room is pretty warm. I also had the same problem during the summer as well. (I just ignored it and played other guitars), So, I'm assuming that temp isn't what is causing it.

GuitarmanST

well hell I have no idea, was this a brand new guitar?
if you want to go extreme consider replacing the nut, bridge unless you have a good enough Shop locally that is willing to find the source of the problem

Urfaust

Yep, the guitar was brand new...

I read about how they go about replacing and removing the nut and it seems to be one of the simpler operations one could do. I'm hoping I could just take it to guitar center or sam ash. I'm assuming they can handle such a task lol. I guess I could really just do it myself. All you need is a hammer and some glue. :D

MasterOfPuppies

that's strange...

have you done a right stretch before to lock everything?

Urfaust

that's strange...

have you done a right stretch before to lock everything?

Do you mean before I put the string on the locking tuners? I pulled the strings and locked them in, then cut off the slack. Then I pull them up by the pickups to break em in.

and yes, I play in standard tuning.

MasterOfPuppies

no i don't. i'm talking about the string stretch procedure when you put a new set of strings.
google/youtube it - maybe it is just that

Urfaust

I strangle 3 goats with the strings before putting them on the guitar to make sure they are properly broken in. I don't know what other procedures exist :p

Anyway, I brought it to sam ash and the tech told me that the neck was bowed a bit from the temp and humidity changes and the nut needs to get fixed up. So, it will cost 60 plus bucks. At least, it will be fixed.

Post to Thread