"dead" frets

Updated
exp9101
I have an LTD EXP-200. Certain frets on the low E and A strings sound "dead". What causes this? It's bad enough that I quit playing it. Could it need a new nut?
nugget666

I have an LTD EXP-200. Certain frets on the low E and A strings sound "dead". What causes this? It's bad enough that I quit playing it. Could it need a new nut?

what causes this is that you have an LTD-EXP-200 !

Dark Alone

what causes this is that you have an LTD-EXP-200 !

No.

Check the curve of the neck.
Check your bridge if it's too low.
Change strings to thinner ones.
Is the nut worn out?

If none of the above solved it, it might be a fret that might have popped out or just overall bad fret leveling.

Yes.

FLSHWND

Check the curve of the neck.
Check your bridge if it's too low.
Change strings to thinner ones.
Is the nut worn out?

If none of the above solved it, it might be a fret that might have popped out or just overall bad fret leveling.

johnny00

which frets are they???? describe as accurately as you can where the "dead frets" are. Maybe we can figure this out. Thanks.

exp9101

now that i've played it again, it has some nasty fret buzz as well. pretty much every fret up to the 7th fret: low E, A, D (on the 7th only), G (not to bad), and the B string doesn't really buzz but it's dead at the 7th fret. high E is fine. i took it to the guy that works on my stuff a while back when i replaced the bridge pick-up and he said he didn't really notice anything. but he said he'll take a look at it and try a few things. thanks for any help/advice you guys can give.

exp9101

i use ernie ball regular slinky's (.46's)

johnny00

i have seen strings that were kinked, and not straight, causing serious buzz and dead frets where they were kinked.
have you gotten anywhere with your problem?

exp9101

no, nothin yet. i think as soon as i get an off day i'll take it in to get looked at. hopefully it's nothin serious.

Post to Thread