How do guitarists in big bands stay in tune?

Updated
How do guitarists in big bands stay in tune?
Alright let just get this straight - I've been playing for almost 5 years now. I've been through quite a few guitars and I know how to properly restring and all that jazz. I really never had a guitar that STAYED in tune (besides my vintage Kramer with an OFR. ) It seems like whatever guitar I own it doesn't stay in tune that well. How do big bands do it, example = Killswitch Engage. They use pinch harmonics like crazy live (seen them 3 times) and they don't go out of tune. Seriously, this is bothering me, HOW TO THEY GET THEIR GUITARS TO STAY IN TUNE SO WELL!? I have a Pre-lawsuit explorer with a gotoh bridge, earvana nut, and sperzel tuners and it does not stay in tune at all. Also have an EC-500 that stays it tune pretty well, but I really want it to be better. Is there a solution to this? Thanks in advanced
Dark Alone

To be fair, my Les Paul with Sperzels has tuning stability issues. And I'm fanatical about being in tune. Not sure if it's an issue with how I installed them or if I just pick so damn hard that staying in tune is going to be difficult when tuned down 2 steps. I don't know. But yeah, it's definitely something that drives me crazy.

TheDevilHimself

To be fair, my Les Paul with Sperzels has tuning stability issues. And I'm fanatical about being in tune. Not sure if it's an issue with how I installed them or if I just pick so damn hard that staying in tune is going to be difficult when tuned down 2 steps. I don't know. But yeah, it's definitely something that drives me crazy.

Like I said, the biggest problem is usually the nut.

load more replies (2 of 2)
Pushead

I think we have a lot of problems with nuts on this forum.

DeathGimmicks

well, now im not in a big band obviusly...that will be someday haha im working on it...but my 202 I can tune and play hard many songs everyday and it will stay in tune for a week. no lie. so I have no idea, actually same wit hmy behringer, and we all know how much shit those are to begin with, it stays in tune perfectly as well, and that is played hard everyday too in Drop C.

DeathGimmicks

well, im not in a big band --yet lol im working on it after i get to berlin^^-- but my 202 stays in tune for a week or so at a time, and i play hard every day, same with my behringer, and we all know how shit those are anyway, but the Brgr is in Drop C and stays in tune unless the tuning peg leans on a wall. just my two cents..

kgry

Unless you're a full step off, who is going to notice when playing live? The only time I've been way out of tune live is when I knocked my headstock into my bass player.

Newfs

Big Bends nut sauce. I thought for 20 bucks what the hell... its awesome. I can play all out and rarely go out of tune.

Velt017

We tune up or switch guitars after every 2 songs or so.

Nut sauce is also pretty good if you have a fixed bridge... I generally use floyds, so... yeah.

onemilelost

Nut sauce is also pretty good if you have a fixed bridge... I generally use floyds, so... yeah.

:| So...do you use it? Because it can actually help floyds as well. Or are you saying that because you use floyds there is no way you ever stay in tune?

load more replies (2 of 2)
Dwayne M.

One thing no one has mentioned is also the change in room. If you've say keep your guitar in your bedroom/jam room in a house with a low humidity and then transport to the gig and don't bother to take it out of the case and let it equalize to the room your playing for a bit before tuning and going on stage chances are your gonna have some issues.

expecially in tightly packed rooms like bars with 300+ drunk fools all breathing heavily there tends to be a lot of humidity. Anyways just something I've learned from playing halls and bars over the years. What we do is leave our guitars on stage from sound check until we go on stage. having a digital tuner in your rack for on the fly adjustments is a big help. 95% of the time though, in a 2 hour gig I only have to tune my 3 guitars the one time just before going on stage.

BlowitUp

I don't know, I like to pull my strings away from the body, to make sure the wrapping around the tuner is tight even though i have locking tuners, I feel that side to side doesn't quite get it enough. But same difference im sure. Never broken a string setting up a guitar either... Another thing! if the tuner only has one screw holding it to the back of the headstock (fucking stupid), if its not super tight the tuner can just move a fraction and go out. I had this problem with my PRS CE 24 on the G string, IT DROVE ME NUTS - cheap solution... Tighten those screws before shows. I also have a tuner inline and tune up after every couple songs while the singer is bs'ing.

ozzuk1

Another thing! if the tuner only has one screw holding it to the back of the headstock (fucking stupid), if its not super tight the tuner can just move a fraction and go out. I had this problem with my PRS CE 24 on the G string, IT DROVE ME NUTS - cheap solution... Tighten those screws before shows. I also have a tuner inline and tune up after every couple songs while the singer is bs'ing.

The majority of modern guitars have a single screw holding the tuner onto the ehadstock well actually my impression si they are there to stop it spinning plenty of people have used sperzels without the pin and all of my guitars have schaller or gotoh style tuners, they stay in tune fine my SLS-3 is extremely stable it only seems to go way out if it gets knocked or dropped...

However in certain environments I can imagine wood expanding but the screw being slightly loose should really affect tuning that badly...

My best advice when restringing a normal tuner is to make sure you have a fair bit of wrap to go around the post and when the string is nearly a full turn and cant slip out start pulling or raising the string and tighten the tuner, it's also a good idea to only have the exccess string go over the top making sure the nut has some lubrication if you can afford the nut sauce thats supposed to be the "best" a graphite pencil will work just as good...

onemilelost

Another thing! if the tuner only has one screw holding it to the back of the headstock (fucking stupid), if its not super tight the tuner can just move a fraction and go out. I had this problem with my G string, IT DROVE MY NUTS UP - cheap solution... Tighten those screws before shows. I also have a tuner inline and tune up after every couple songs while the singer is blowing T-bone.

+1 to ozzuk1

Those screws you are referring to prevent the tuner from turning in circles. And don't have all that much effect on tuning stability. Most of my guitars have Grovers and have never had a problem with the movement you describe. It sounds like what you are describing is caused from the hole in the headstock that the tuner is in. If that is too large, then I could see it moving around, but it shouldn't knock the guitar that far out of tune. And once the guitar is strung up, the forces on the tuning peg should hold it pretty steady, so it shouldn't be an issue. If you were constantly having to retune your 3rd string(G) and none of the others I would've guessed it was the actual tuner or the nut that was the problem.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Sauerkret

Get a guitar tech to retune your guitar every 2 to 3 songs :p.

Rebourne

Peterson strobe tuners, locking tuners, proper intonation. I can play all night with the same guitar and stay mostly in tune. It helps to have a good ear and just be able to make slight adjustments between songs.

Haakenstad

How does T Bone stay in tune?

Canadian_F_H

properly string the guitars. have multiple guitars, have techs hand them a freshly tuned guitar and retune the others. locking pegs or nuts. maintenance. ie. well lubed nuts and saddles, free of trash and replaced when worn out.

fine tuning between songs with a tuning pedal or rack mount that cuts the noise while tuning. front men are a great distraction while doing this.

BlowitUp

How does T Bone stay in tune?

Tuning key?

Mike G.

I've suffered with tuning problems for years and years.  I've bought, and eventually sold, around 10 different guitars because of tuning frustration!  I now have the only solution that I have ever found for staying in perfect tune all day/every day.  EVERTUNE!  I now only play 2 guitars.  A Fender Strat with Evertune and an LTD with Evertune.  Now, I never even think about being in tune...I just play and play.  It's life changing.

Pron

I only know one way of a strong tune - toplock + fixed floydrose or microtune bridge. 

Post to Thread