Eclipse II swapping Gotoh Magnums for Schaller Locking

Updated
Newfs
I been a little frustrated with my Gotoh Magnums. Not only did it take me a few hours to just learn how to use them, I find they dont hold tune after any bending on the higher strings.... Has anyone had any success swapping these out for Schallers, and if so was any drilling required? Another possibility is that I missing some trick to help keep these things in tune. any suggestion are welcome!
WildeStarr

I always hated locking tuners. They are the answer to the question nobody asked.

xchumfiestax

I always hated locking tuners. They are the answer to the question nobody asked.

I could have sworn the question was...

How do you make string changes faster and easier?

some like em, some don't

load more replies (1 of 1)
Guitarslingerans

...kinda like typing every response in bold.

BroKV

Bold

Newfs

Wow, 6 replies and not one remotely close in subject to the question....Thanks

xchumfiestax

Wow, 6 replies and not one remotely close in subject to the question....Thanks

welcome to the ESP board :lol

I haven't had to deal with string changes on my magnum locks yet, but If I were to swap them for anything, it would be for Sperzels

I think Schallers would be drop in replacements but I know Sperzels normally require a little bit of work. Some have gotten around that though

Newfs

When restringing I held the string up with the tuner hole pointing down towards bridge, I've read that you should hold string away from guitar and with hole 90 degrees.

Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

creativename11

get sperzels never had a problem take 5-10 min to change all 6 strings and they stay in tune great thats my input :\

Diurno

I been a little frustrated with my Gotoh Magnums. Not only did it take me a few hours to just learn how to use them, I find they dont hold tune after any bending on the higher strings....

Has anyone had any success swapping these out for Schallers, and if so was any drilling required?

Another possibility is that I missing some trick to help keep these things in tune. any suggestion are welcome!

Well, i've got some problems in the first time i've changed strings....then, once having learned the way, no more troubles. I change strings very quickly and i don't have any problems in tuning stability after bendings!

Desnar

I have problems with Gotoh Magnums. I suspect it may not be faulty hardware or design but me not using them right. They aren't easy like other tuners with the twist nut thingy on the bottom.

Newfs

I'll be chaning strings soon and try them again - pulling the string on more of a 90 before starting to turn the tuner head.

And for the record, it didnt take me hours... I was just exageratting and completely frustrated with them. After figuring them out, I find they are not so bad as long as they could hold tunning

WildeStarr

After figuring them out, I find they are not so bad as long as they could hold tunning

Well.. do they?

OutlawTorn

mine do on my horizon

fireblade

i have both types of tuner on ec-1kSperzel) and esp eclipse (gotoh).
the sperzels are very easy to use. the gotohs just need a little work getting used to em.
i think they hold tune better than sperzel but maybe not everyone.
on gotohs, if you pull string thru and tension it, keep it held tight and turn the head. once the lock nut is tight enough, the entire head starts to turn and string tightens
no need to go drillin shit ffs

Post to Thread