Pickup Squeal - How to reduce?

Updated
Yetti1
Hey Fellas, Ive got a new guitar with im sure some pretty stock humbucking pickups. And the guitar came with 9 gauge strings and i usually use 10 gauge. Well upon first playing it on the bridge it had some feedback and a tad of squealing depending on my angle to the amp. Well i replaced the strings and however it sounds tighter it seems the Squealing has increased with worse squealing. Even if my hand gets close to the bridge pickup it will start to squeal and even when i just rest my hand on the strings... Is there a way to reduce it or stop it. Or should i just replace the pups? Help would be appreciated. Thanks -Yetti
Sixstringhotshot

You oughtta rewire the whole thing, that sounds like some bad news.

Justinschut

what guitar/pickups are they ?

Yetti1

No name brand they are just covered humbuckers

jsp

Check to see if the pickup is wax potted, and the control cavity shielded.

Pushead

Turn the gain down.

Powerglide350

Just get better pickups. The covers are probably not wax potted and are feeding back. It's not worth the hassle to repot them.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Yetti1

Id be willing to try then foam thing. So i put the foam under the pickups inside the cavity so like it goes guitar - foam - Pickup - Strings?

Or you saying i have to take the covers off and put the foam inbetween the cover and pickup?

Sorry for my ignorance but just want to check.

I dont want to have to change pups just yet unless i absolutely have to...teh stock ones i dont know they arent used but i know they are some budget ones but the sound sick on my setup.

thanks for the further help guys

Mark K.

no, just guitar - foam - pickup - strings

Post to Thread