Volume Probs Pots?

Updated
Yetti1
So ive recently been noticing that my neck pickup is not outputing like it is supposed to..but ive been able to switch channels while switching pickups and messing around with the volume nob randomly and then it would come back all of the sudden. Well i discovered this time its seems to be happening from my volume nob. I noticed the sound would come in and go out when i would touch or tap the nob or move it slightly or even jiggle it too. So is this what they would call a volume pot? Do i replace it? whats recomended. Im not really guitar parts savy but it seems i shouldnt have to take it to a pro to get it fixed?? Maybe i do? Thanks for the help -Yetti
Xaladar

I'm not technical term savvy, but I think that a "pot" is just short for "potentiometer" which is what the knobs really are.
But I have the same problem with two of my guitars, only with the jack plate, the sound would suddenly stop, and I could jiggle the cord and it would work again.

Yetti1

Yeah its wierd anyone else know of any solutions?

Sixstringhotshot

Spray some contact cleaner into the pot and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

Yetti1

like from teh back, taking off the electronics cover?

The G.

yeah, also, check the soldering connections on the guitar w/the input jack issue. i hear concentric pots are very good to go with. i have yet to try them.

njrusmc

Concentric pots work fine. Not necessarily better or worse than normal pots, but substantially more expensive. I do not suggest them unless you have a purpose. Instead, take off the electronics cover, visually and physically inspect the wires to ensure solid connections. I am willing to bet that is the problem. If contact cleaner does not help, replace the pot. They are very cheap.

Post to Thread