PH-600 Tuning instability

Updated
Led
Hi, bought a new PH-600 a couple of months ago, great guitar, just been battling to get it to keep in tune. Had a hard time to set a decent action, but have settled on a bit of a compromise, slightly higher than I would like, still buzzy, but at least not too discernable through an amp and no choking. It goes out of tune after playing for 30 mins or so, all strings tend to go sharp, specially the A and G. Even lightly using the tremolo is a big no-no, instantly goes out of tune. I have adjusted the tremolo parallel with the body and fitted new strings (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky)… Anyway hoping someone here can give some advice. Noticed that the ESP Page Hamilton is fitted with a graphite nut, the PH-600 with a plastic one, might it help to replace it? Thanks.
Metaldude30

Where did u buy, did u buy from a catalog site like musiciansfriend or did u go to a store? Could be a neck issue and might need adjusted. If you went the catalog way chances are it was never really set up right or accurate, if it was thru a store take it in and have the tech check it out.

tee5150ii

Lube the NUT!!! Seriously. Get a graphite pencil and rub that sum'bitch in the string slots and then send me a thank-you letter. Cookies are nice too.

Metaldude30

^Can't hurt to try that too!

Dilzdo21

it has worked , seems like theres more probs tho

tech time

Led

Thanks for the replies. Bought it from a store, not close by, so bit of a hassle to go there again... Will do if all else fails though. Will try the graphite pencil, thanks tee5150ii

Led

Ok, some feedback, after applying the graphite it is more stable. Stays in tune while playing much better, still goes sharp, but not as wildly - using the tremolo is still risky though.

@Matt, yes keeps going sharp, I’m always having to loosen, then tighten back up to pitch. I did adjust the truss rod. Basically here is what I have done:

Adjusted the relief to flat (no relief), then added slight relief in ¼ turns leaving guitar to settle for a day as per instructions I read in this forum. (now between 0.5 and 1mm)
Adjusted bridge height (3.0mm at 24th fret)
Fitted new strings – had to tighten tremolo springs slightly to get it level @ pitch
Intonation and adjusted string heights to match fretboard radius

I’m going to keep on lubing the nut (he he), maybe it needs time and a bit more playing action to settle in. I think I will order a replacement graphite nut in the meantime anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

Dilzdo21

just might be ^

sumthing affecting the strings

Post to Thread