1 Passive/ 1 Active

Updated
BoD
I am planning on changing out my bridge EMG (Eclipse II) for a passive pick-up. Is it possible to leave the neck active and the bridge passive? If so, Is there a wiring diagram that would make this easier? It looked a little complicated when I opened it up.
gorsch

+1. I've been curious about it. I've seen a few guitars that way. I'd think you may lose the "middle" toggle function though. Most people do it with a mini 2 way toggle deal. one OR the other ya know?

Nikopapp

It is very possible, but you need seperate volume pots as the active's usually use 25K pots and passive's usually use 500K pots.

Mr Walley

How do you want the knob configuration, seeing as there are only 3. 2 volumes are a given. Which pickup do you want the tone to control because it can't control both. Yes, you will need a 2 way toggle. Give me some more info (new pickup) and I will try to see what I can come up with as far as a diagram.

BoD

I wanted to keep the controls the same, if at all possible. If not, I guess I will change out both pick-ups. I'm wanting to put in a Bill Lawrence L500XL at the bridge pos.

BoD

Any suggestions on neck pick-ups that would compliment the BL?

Mr Walley

did you want to keep the active in the neck b/c you like the way the EMG60 sounds or because it is cheaper to just replace one pickup?

BoD

I really don't use the neck pick-up and thought that it would be cheaper to just change the one.

Mr Walley

Seeing as you don't use the neck pickup all that often I would say have the tone control the bridge. So your shopping list would be at: one 2 way toggle, two 500k audio taper pots. a .047 capacitor. you could use some of the wire that are already there. Of course the easiest thing to do is replace the neck pickup to passive.

BoD

In order to change them both, I would need to buy new 500k pots is that correct?
I do have this stuff in some guitars that I'm not using. I guess I could canibalize them..

BoD

Thanx Large!! I'll probably just go ahead and change them both. That looks to be the best way to go.

maxdgad

my last guitarist in my other band used an X2N bridge, EMG 81 neck, 2 volume, 1 tone.

njrusmc

If you don't feel like drilling extra holes, you can use stacked pots. EMG makes a 25K stacked one, Im sure you could find a 500K one elsewhere. Thus, you get a separate tone and volume per pickup.

"I just can't remember how ESP wires the ground to the bridge on the tune-o-matics"

Doesn't really matter. For active pickups, the bridge is NOT grounded at all. For passives, just tie it to any pot casing, or the selector switch ground.

Nikopapp

If you buy your Seymour's or EMG's from guitarpartsdepot they'll give you wiring schematics for anything you need.

njrusmc

Runs the risk of reverse polarity shock as I said before. Actives are internally grounded, so by connecting your strings to ground, you can somehow damage the EMG's. This is plastered all over their site as well as their schematics. Im a programmer, not an electrical engineer, so I dont know all the gory details.

The G.

i never was told to install the preamp circuit when i ran a hot rail w/a hardwired 81. you just need to give each pup it own volume pot. actives run on 25k, then 500k for humbuckers, and a 2 or 3 way switch. you can use the ground wire for the passive. i'll hop on the old pc and scrounge up the schematic the emg tech made up for me.

TheDevilHimself

It's a recommendation.

Post to Thread