R3 vs. R4 floyd nuts?

Updated
baerman
Hello, happy 4th of July first of all. Both R3 and R4 nuts are 42.9mm, but with different string spacing. LFR models usually are stated as 43mm. Is it a choice of preferance or feel with the R3 and R4 or is one required over the other? Also what would the string spacing be on the LFR nuts, wide or narrow? Thanks
ozzuk1

I believe one has slightly narrower e spacing for use with older gibsons with some binding issue's that caused the normal nuts to not work so well, warmoth has the technical info a normal gutiar would need the R3 I believe...

baerman

Thanks, that makes sense. On OFR site it shows the R3 being narrow and R4 being wide.

Nikopapp

R3 is for a 12" radius and R4 is for a 10" radius.
That's your difference.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

R3 is for a 12" radius and R4 is for a 10" radius.
That's your difference.

R3 and R4 are for 1 11/16 nut widths, the R3 is for narrow-er string spacing, the R4 is for wider string spacing.

The R3 is mostly used on necks with 1 11/16 wide nuts that have bound fretboards/headstocks.

R4 is mostly used on necks with 1 11/16 wide nuts that are not bound.

All Floyd Locking Nuts made by Schaller are 10 inch radius.

We sell these at work if anyone wants to buy them.

Nikopapp

Binding has no relation to the nut size, when coosing the nut you need to know the width of the nut slot and the radius of the fretboard. You can ask any luthier about that.
That is incorrect that all Schaller nuts are 10".
But I'll let you guys figure it out.
I have the specs from Andy at Floyd Rose if anyone cares to know what they really are.

baerman

The Floyd Rose website shows that both the R3 and R4 use a 10" radius while the Schaller site says R3=les paul narrow and R4=BC Rich and Les Paul wide. What??? I guess only an experienced luthier should be buying locking nuts!!!

Post to Thread