drop b tuning

Updated
xdaynex
hey i have a guitar that i want to use for drop b tuning (B, F#, B, E, G#, C# for those who dont know) and im just curious-but is it better to use a guage 13-56 set for that tuning? cuz my otehr choice is 10-56 but ive tried to go to dropped c with a standard guage and after the high e is strung to d, nething lower gets uber slacky(i did it once for the fun of it:$). knowing that this is C# on the high e, is it better to use the 13-56 set?
LordCliffton

Yes. In short the lower you tune the larger gauge your strings should be,, ideally.

I like tuning that low with a typical set of 10s cuz it keeps me on top of my game.

so does billy gibbons for that matter but that crazy man uses a set of 8s!!!

asbloodrunsblack

i use 11-52 d'addarios in that tuning , but replace the 52 with a 56 or a 58

MikeC

Drop B-12's.
Drop C-11's, 10's if you like your strings 'flappy'.
D Standard-9-42's.

That's just my preferance, some people hate the 9's on the D standard, but I like it.

LordCliffton

Drop B-12's.
Drop C-11's, 10's if you like your strings 'flappy'.
D Standard-9-42's.

That's just my preferance, some people hate the 9's on the D standard, but I like it.

This guy has the right idea.. I'm of similar opinion as well: For each ½ step you drop,, consider going UP .001 in string gauge.

For E standard or Eb 9 or 10 gauge is good.
For D standard or Db 10-11 gauge.
You get the idea. As you downtune just keep moving up in string gauge to compensate. The benefit is that you get to keep the same FEEL each time you play because the strings won't be all wonky. Instead they will feel consistent from guitar to guitar no matter what tuning you are in.

peace

load more replies (1 of 1)
DeathrollJM

i personally would use 11-54's i like a slightly looser feel. i use the light top heavy bottom (10-52) on my strat for Standard D/Drop C, 9-52 on my M-207 (7 string) tunned in standard. I have used the (11-54) gage for Drop B, it works well for me.

just my preferance

xdaynex

is it okai to use 13-56 on a 24.75 scale lngth guitar tho?

HateEvent

I like the feel of 9s in E.

For drop B, I use Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys (yellow packet) and replace the 22P with a 22W and replace the 54 with a 56.

No adjustments to truss required and the bridge remained as perfectly flush as it was when it was setup with the 9s in E.

(That is on 25.5" scale too FWIW to you :))

Post to Thread