Help the NewB

Updated
Bluerob
Hi chaps, hope you can help... after I bought my M-200 with a Steve Special and a Evo Dimarzios pups: I did some height adjustments on the strings, tuning 2 moths ago...you know the basic setup. And I was quite pleased with the new axxe and how the Dimarzios sounded until 2 days ago :( I plugged it on the same set up as usual, 65W Create amp and my Digitech GNx2 And it sounded somehow different, hard to describe...not all the notes have the same volume and sometimes they get distorted.....on string bending you get a rare distortion....the sound is not quite clear as it used to be. I did check and the setup on the amp and GNx2 looks the same. So my best guess is that something is wrong with the guitar itself...volume pot or the pups maybe. Being a newB I`ve read that you can give the pups a wax bath to avoid "microphonic" issues....is that what I need or what? kinda of lost here, hope someone on here can guide me towards the light ASAP :( Thanks in advance.
Mystievel

hmm I am no expert I'm trying to figure out a problem like this myself, my only guess at the moment is something might have gone wrong while soldering. Make sure all the connections are crisp and clean. Other than that the only thing that comes to mind would be the the connection from the cable to the output jack maybe?

njrusmc

I doubt a wax bath is required. +1 to the above post, ensure your soldering connections are solid. Ensure your 1/4" cable is good. Ensure your output jack is tight and properly connected to the guitar electronics.

Bluerob

Thanks for the replys chaps....I`ll start checking the 1/4 jack on the guitar...if no joy I`ll look on the solderings....the wired thing is that I haven't touch them since I bought the axe.
I`ll let you know on the outcome. ;)

The G.

good solders joints are shiny, cold joints are dull.

LordCliffton

Perhaps I can help??

Let us analyze what you have written here...

Hi chaps, hope you can help... after I bought my M-200 with a Steve Special and a Evo Dimarzios pups: I did some height adjustments on the strings, tuning 2 months ago...you know the basic setup. And I was quite pleased with the new axxe and how the Dimarzios sounded until 2 days ago :(
I plugged it on the same set up as usual, 65W Create amp and my Digitech GNx2

And it sounded somehow different, hard to describe...not all the notes have the same volume and sometimes they get distorted.....on string bending you get a rare distortion....the sound is not quite clear as it used to be. I did check and the setup on the amp and GNx2 looks the same. So my best guess is that something is wrong with the guitar itself...volume pot or the pups maybe.
Being a newB I`ve read that you can give the pups a wax bath to avoid "microphonic" issues....is that what I need or what?
kinda of lost here, hope someone on here can guide me towards the light ASAP :(

Thanks in advance.

Your pups do NOT need to be wax potted as they already come that way from the factory. Speaking of which,, I know your guitar was already tuned at the factory,,, as well as strung. lol

But, if the last time you changed your strings was 2 months ago:eek:.. that itself could be the culprit. :evil

Pro Tip: Change your strings at least every 10 hours of playing time for best intonation. :D

Other than your soldering possibly being shoddy I do not know what else it could be. Get back when you have rechecked(ie-resoldered) your pups wire job.

LordCliffton

Well.. I used to do tech work in a store & have talked to hundreds of people from gigging musicians to factory reps.. and that seems to be about the norm. Truth be told.. PROs like Hammet, Hanneman, Mustaine, etc. & that sort of performer get their strings changed after every show whether they need it or not. Their income is literally dependent upon their intonation being spot on.

Idk.. I'm not super fanatical about my strings personally. I tend to change them right about the time when it begins to affect my tuning stability.

Example: Have you ever gotten a tiny warble on a note when you fret it or even when you are simply doing a natural harmonic? They should be changed when you first notice that happening. Or really, before you notice it.

NOTE: That tiny warble could be an intonation problem & would require adjustment.

However, I've had times where I left the same set of strings on my axe for well over a year & just learned to deal with that inconsistency-I was about 16 or so last time that happened though & can afford to buy a new set of strings at least every now & then to counteract that. ;)

But ya,, after about 10 hours of playing they should be changed. It's really not that short of a time when you think about it.. an hour or two of practice here & there.. an hour long gig or three... and that's about 10 hours. Think of all the bending being done to your strings in those 10 hours... quite a bit sometimes. Way more if you use a Floyd or the like, correct?
peace

Post to Thread