18v converter

Updated
espguy462
i wanna know what an 18 volt thing does for you EMG pickups. Does it make it moer powerful? or last longer? and how do you get it done?
gorsch

it's not a big difference really. I did it and all I noticed is that I was louder. Like actually louder. Kinda strange. I expected more output, but not actual volume, and increased dynamics, which it did do. I really didnt see the point. Some people love it though. Just get another battery clip and connect the black coming off your battery clip to the new red wire, then black to black going to the input. very easy.

metalhobo

It's not supposed to make it louder or more powerful or anything. The only way to make the batteries last longer is if you connect batteries in parallel (the 18v mod has the batteries in series). The 18v mod is simply supposed to give you more headroom, so the output signal is less compressed.

idpmofo

I'm a believer... DOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!

gorsch

I'd at least give it a shot. Theres a much bigger difference clean. I heard jazz players do it a lot.

HAY YAH

big difference IMO do it

njrusmc

Considering it costs $5 and takes 30 minutes from start to finish, its worth it.

riku

It gives you more headroom in the electronics so the signal sounds less compressed. You probably wouldn't notice it all that much with a distorted signal as distroted signals are compressed by the nature of the distortion, but it's more noticable on clean signals. Lots of basses come with 18V pre-amps for the extra headroom.

espguy462

thanks

Nikopapp

18v mod is the only way my EMG's roll now, you guys are nuts if you can't hear the difference!

kingkobra813

i did this mod. took me 5 mins way easy its not he big of a difference. but on clean you can hear it. but then i have the booster and then you could really hear it. it does alot with the booster. but its easy and only makes it better. just do it.

Post to Thread