pickup wiring issue

Updated
gorsch
Is it possible for a bad ground wire to cause a P-up to sound kind thin and "tinny," and I mean the ground that goes to the bridge. I wouldnt think so if the neck P-up sounds fine. I've been messing with this JB in my V for too long now. The neck P-up sounds fine. I've tried swapping the Black wire and green wire thinking it may be that, same deal. I'm beginning to think the JB just sounds horrible in this guitar. I love it in my EC1K. I'm so lost now. Tried a different pot, tried different toggle switch. I dont get it. I'm about this close (puts fingers real close together) to just putting 2 EMG 85's back in this bastard. Its my favorite guitar and I havent been able to use it in so long. It sounded alright with the 85's but I really like passives more. All I know is at least the 85's worked right.
gorsch

Oh, and I know the type of wood is a major part. This V is some cheap light as hell wood. It's an Epi gothic V. I just wouldnt think it could sound this bad with a JB.

gorsch

good call, I'll give that a shot this weekend.

njrusmc

If you have an ohmmeter, test the wires for connectivity. When I worked with soldering everyday, I actually had a discontinuity in a wire that looked totally normal. Instead of a broken circuit, you may just have incorrect resistance as a result of deformation. Thats a bit easier than Jet's suggestion, but I agree, you should definitely do what he said as it will actually determine if the pickup is bad.

gorsch

I have none, so I'm going for the straight hook up. Hope the P-up isnt bad. I just bought it couple weeks ago. I might just break down and pay to have my guitar Dude do it. He wont charge me full price anyway. He'll laugh at me when I bring it in because I usually do all my own work. I got him around for when I F' it up.

gorsch

It was just how a JB sounds in Basswood. Tried different P-up, worked fine. Put the JB in my M200FM, worked and sounded fine. Note to self, and everyone else, dont put a JB in a basswood guitar. Sounds horrible.

KH Guitar Freak

It was just how a JB sounds in Basswood. Tried different P-up, worked fine. Put the JB in my M200FM, worked and sounded fine. Note to self, and everyone else, dont put a JB in any guitar. Sounds horrible.

Fixed... :p

But yeah, someone buy my Ibanez so that I can get that LTD DV8-R, and we shall see if the JB stays...

gorsch

JB sounds amazing in my other guitars.

kgry

I kinda thought I had the same problem when I installed a Duncan Distortion in my Epiphone LP. I did it myself, not the best working with solder. But it ended up being that it just didn't sound good in that guitar.

Post to Thread