I think I just fucked my guitar....

Updated
gab4554
I was changing my strings and I wanted to know how an EMG 85 would sound in the bridge. So I removed all my strings then I swapped my pickups. After putting new strings I started to play. At the beginning I was like : Wow Its fking nice but after 5 min i just realize that I wasnt even able to do pinch harmonics on high notes (like 17 of my B string) on both pickups. On the low notes I can but it doesnt sound really good sometimes the sound cuts then its fine then it cuts again. Then my high E string was starting to sound weird. I mean sometimes there was a small sound like if my pickup wasnt working. And on the high E string some note were sounding the same (ex: the 15th fret sounded like the 16 one). All those things I tried with my 81 my 85 and both. Now I think Im gonna swap my pickups back to 81 in the bridge and my 85 in the neck but before I was wondering what happened??? EDIT : Can anyone show me a pic of their guitar with a good view on the pickups to see cause I think I install the ring wrong or something like that.
OutlawTorn

was the EMG set factory installed? or aftermarket? i had my EMGs installed aftermarket on my viper and my 81 went bad a bout 3 months ago, but that was a flook thing, are you sure u put the quick connector in all the way and on the right side, when i replaced my 81 at first i had the connector in upside down and it didnt fully pick up the signal, strange, but it happened, so i fliped the connector over and before re tightening the strings i took a coin and tapped it on the pup it self through my practice to make sure i got sound, it worked and i havent had a problem since.

gab4554

Alright thank you. Ill look for that. and I think I put my pickup ring (neck for sure and maybe bridge) in the wrong way.

OutlawTorn

the acutal mounting pup ring? or the quick connector?

gab4554

PU ring

gorsch

the rings should be cut so 1 side is higher than the other, if ya get me. high side goes towards bridge, low side towards neck. Some are flat though. In that case you cant really srew it up. Thicker goes as bridge, thinner goes for neck.

gab4554

the rings should be cut so 1 side is higher than the other, if ya get me. high side goes towards bridge, low side towards neck. Some are flat though. In that case you cant really srew it up. Thicker goes as bridge, thinner goes for neck.

aight that was the problem. The neck ring which is tinner i knew that but i didnt knew there was a side. but i put the neck pickup ring in the wrong side and I realize that i also my strings were close to the fretboard then i looked at my tune-o-matic was in the wrong way... :I feel so noob lol. :o

njrusmc

Make sure your bridge ground wire is NOT tied to ground. You run the risk of reverse polarity shock, thus wrecking your pickups. If your guitar came with the 81/85 set then chances are the factory didn't tie it down (which is correct).

gorsch

cool, now you know. We've all probably done it, we just wont admit to it.

MyApocalypse

I think I just fucked my guitar...

Really? How did it feel? :p

just playin man, that sucks, hope you can make it all better soon

gab4554

Aight the problem looks like it has been solved... thanks for the help.

The only thing is on the high strings on the high notes like the 15th fret and the 16th sounds the same... I didnt change my gauge.

How do I fix that? with the tuss rod?

Post to Thread