Neck popping when tremelo is used on my m-1000

Updated
whiplash
I am a new guitarist and recently bought an ltd m-1000. This has been great until I changed the strings yesterday. I am not getting fret buzz, the action is good, the intonation is good, and the floyd rose is sitting flat. So everything is good except, now when I depress the whammy bar there is a popping sound coming from the neck. It pops again when the bar is released. It is fairly loud and can be felt throughout the guitar. The locking nut is tight so I don't think that the lower strings are slipping through, but I can't tell. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Graham Nicholson

Likely a poorly installed truss rod. If that's the case, it's a factory defect that should be covered by your warranty.

Bouncepogo

that sounds very strange. I suggest you get a friend to help depress the truss rod whilst you feel/listen around the guitar to see what is making the noise. The noise could be coming from anywhere and resonating along the body and neck. A popping truss rod to me sounds bizarre, surely you would have serious neck problems if your truss rod could 'pop'.

Give the guitar a good shake and see if it makes any rattles. If a truss rod has snapped it often rattles.

1point8t

Check the screws that hold the locking nut to the neck... if there's a drastic climate change between the store you bought it from, and the house its in now... sometimes the wood will contract/expand which would cause the screws to not be 100% tight. It happened to a few of my guitars when I moved into my new place, it's a lot dryer than my old apartment.

Pharaoh

Check the screws that hold the locking nut to the neck... if there's a drastic climate change between the store you bought it from, and the house its in now... sometimes the wood will contract/expand which would cause the screws to not be 100% tight. It happened to a few of my guitars when I moved into my new place, it's a lot dryer than my old apartment.

That's what I was thinking too...mine do that from time to time as the neck and screws to the nut settle out.

Weasley

do you know if m-1000's have many problems like this?

Butch

You sure this noise is not comin from the floyd ?

whiplash

Thanks for the advice. I took it in to the shop and it turns out that the coated DR strings I put on are slipping through the lock nut. Even with the nut tight the string slips 1 or 2 ribs causing a popping noise that can be felt through the neck. The guy at the shop told me that I am the second person he has seen that has had a problem with coated strings. Thanks again.

ampartic

I am a new guitarist and recently bought an ltd m-1000. This has been great until I changed the strings yesterday. I am not getting fret buzz, the action is good, the intonation is good, and the floyd rose is sitting flat. So everything is good except, now when I depress the whammy bar there is a popping sound coming from the neck. It pops again when the bar is released. It is fairly loud and can be felt throughout the guitar. The locking nut is tight so I don't think that the lower strings are slipping through, but I can't tell. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

My word. No wonder you're getting no fret buzz. One cannot get a buzz from smoking frets. And I'm glad the action is good with you're guitar you monsterous monstrosity. How could you?! My neck used to pop, try a neck brace. Have you fallen on your head lately? Maybe it just sprung out of place.

Mark K.

oil the pivot screws... I don't think it's the neck...my old licensed FR had the same problem, I oiled the pivot screws and it didn't made a sound anymore...

metalhobo

My word. No wonder you're getting no fret buzz. One cannot get a buzz from smoking frets. And I'm glad the action is good with you're guitar you monsterous monstrosity. How could you?! My neck used to pop, try a neck brace. Have you fallen on your head lately? Maybe it just sprung out of place.

:rollin

Butch

wtf? crackhead? or unreal?

RedStripe

you are a freak.

Post to Thread