Faulty switches/ pickups? anyone else have this problem?

Updated
Mystievel
So if anyone recalls i made a post a while back asking if my new guitar came broken or what. Well we found out it indeed did come broken and the problem was either the switch or the faulty neck pickup. ---The story--- I ordered an EC-1000 blk (beauty) and now it has come again to me after i returned it once...with the same problem. When i flip the pickup switch downwards (towards my feet or i think its the Neck Pickup position) I only sometimes get sound if i mess with the switch enough. Either way...is there like an epidemic of faulty switches going around? Anyone else getting this issue with the EC's?
Richi K.

ec 1000, the same switch problem. Sprayed WD40 into the faulty switch from top. No more issues. Found the advice on this forum.

Mike B.

I have the same issue with a new LTD EC-1000 Duncan I bought. They sprayed the switch out and it worked. I get home & the problem returned. I took the back plate off to pear inside & I found 2 spots were the wires shielding was burned by a solder iron. Had to be from the manufacturer because we unboxed the guitar in the store. GC said to bring it in & they’ll repair it for free. Real Nice guitar but craftsmanship is inconsistent in the 3 I test drove. 

jb b.

Same problem here with my EC-1000 Vintage blk, when I switch the toggle down to the bridge pickup position the sound from the guitar will quit, I can move it back & forth and it will work (sometimes for a long time and sometimes it will only last for 5-20 mins). I thought it would be a faulty soldering job on their part, so I'll resolder it tomorrow to see if it works. Also, I've noticed that pedals will increase the chances of this happening compared to only playing through the amp. It's an active emg pickup EC-1000 btw.

ian d.

just gotten my ec256 and im not sure if its supposed to be as such. when pickup selector is in the middle position, only the neck pickup volume is working but both volume is working fine when selected on their position. is there anything wrong? 

Pushead

The way the guitar is wired, in the middle position either volume should work, but you cannot individually control pickup volumes to mix how much neck you hear vs how much bridge you hear. You can change the wiring to allow pickup mixing in the middle position, but that's not how it comes from the factory.

Rod S.

Wow. Had my LTD EC-1000 Deluxe two weeks and has been great until 30 minutes ago. Switched to the bridge pickup and nothing. Been fiddling with the amp settings and tried everything I can think of and then did a quick Google search and here I am. This really sucks … guitar shop is 4 hours away and there is no way I’m going to start messing with the wiring and potentially voiding warranty. Wanted the heavy metal sound but maybe I should have gone with a Fender strat? Totally different I know. Frustrating … especially if this problem has be happening for awhile. 

Pushead

It's a fairly common thing with these switches. If you move it back and forth the pickup should come back in at full volume. If you have any experience with soldering (or have a friend who does), I just remelt the solder on each of the wires running to the switch and that usually fixes the problem.

Thom D.

Just got my new EC1000T with Fishman Fluence......3 way toggle bad....bridge pu is good....center postion intermittent and  neck barely any volume coming from it.

AJ69

I am having the same issue with my EC-1000 Duncan.  Neck pickup is fine but the bridge is super low volume, almost inaudible.  Oddly when I engage the coil-split, the bridge pickup gets significantly louder but still not equal to the neck.  So I am not sure if this is a switch wiring issue or a pickup wiring issue now.  

Luis P.

El mismo problema, al segundo mes, casi sin utilizar, el mover el pickup deja de oírse. Después de vacaciones tendré que llevarla a la tienda a 25km a ver qué me dicen.

Ben J.

My EC-401 had exactly the same issue...luckily the store I bought it from was good enough to send me a brand new EMG solderless toggle free of charge! Problem solved, but it does seem like it's an issue...not exactly cheap instruments!

oscar c.

New EC-1000 Andromeda 3 months old.  Just started with this intermittent switch issue so here I am.  Grit between the contacts.  Fixed the problem by cleaning the toggle switch contacts with mass airflow sensor cleaner and a drop of silicone lube.  Switch is better than new!

Toanisstoredinballs

Got an Arrow-1000 and the same shit happened. First I need to fuck around with the switch to get sound out of the bridge pickup. Then the neck goes out completely. Now i get sound from neither and I’m installing a solderless system. Great guitars horrendous soldering work I guess. 

Daniel L.

Paid more than $1,000 for an EC-1000ET and the damn pickup selector switch is intermittent.  WTF!  ESP LTD just took a major hit in my book. Never again!!!

Post to Thread