3 bad EC500s

Updated
max_power
I ordered an red EC-500 online before Christmas and it was beautiful. but it had wiring issues. they sent a replacement. It had a big dent (I assume from shipping) they sent a third guitar, and it seems to have some wiring issues, although not as bad as the first one. but it has a number of "fit & finish" flaws. crappy binding on one side of the headstock, spots in the binding around the body and what appears to be a chip in the point of the headstock that was there before the guitar was varnished. Am I crazy to assume that I can get a well built guitar with working electronics from the LTD line? Im almost starting to feel like an asshole sending back guitar after guitar to this place, and Its been over a month and I still dont have a guitar I consider to be worth keeping.
njrusmc

Thats very strange. I would assume that EC-500 guitars, being 500 level series, would be good quality. My MH-100 that I bought in 2002 and just sold a month ago was in great condition, including the finish. The neck was a little bowed because I was a stupid kid and went apeshit on the truss rod, but thats my own fault. Ive had an MH 400 NT for a month and have been playing it constantly ... no issues at all. I bought a used H207 on eBay and it is just fine too .... Whats up with the EC's ?!

max_power

I don't know, but when my EC-1000 gets here this week, i really hope there are no issues.

espdood

Save up and get an ESP standard series version. You'll have no problems with those. Excellent quality.

setenza

I picked up a 500 the other day, nice guitar but yes it had the dreaded switch issue. Was able to take care of it last night.

It was an easy fix...the switch has two sets of flat copper leaf spring contacts- when you flip the switch, it disconnects either one of the contacts (middle is both contacted). So, on mine, the inside contact for the bridge pickup circuit was bent or warped inward. This caused it to not be able to spring over all the way to touch the other contact sometimes. So..I just bent it in a little to fix..no more issue. I think what is happening is that the contacts are warping during the soldering process. Hope this helps all of you with this problem.

metaball

I picked up a 500 the other day, nice guitar but yes it had the dreaded switch issue. Was able to take care of it last night.

It was an easy fix...the switch has two sets of flat copper leaf spring contacts- when you flip the switch, it disconnects either one of the contacts (middle is both contacted). So, on mine, the inside contact for the bridge pickup circuit was bent or warped inward. This caused it to not be able to spring over all the way to touch the other contact sometimes. So..I just bent it in a little to fix..no more issue. I think what is happening is that the contacts are warping during the soldering process. Hope this helps all of you with this problem.

thanks setenza! i'll try that this weekend.
much easier than sending the one i've got back or buying a more expensive model.

load more replies (1 of 1)
max_power

I got my 1000 on Friday, and it seems flawless. No issues of any kind, cosmetic or otherwise. Sounds incredible, but seems to weigh a few pounds less than my 500, which I thought was strange.

At any rate, the 1000 is definitely a keeper.

Butch

that abigail woman is the coil winder aint she?

Post to Thread